• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L Problems

TimDog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,

I have used this site for advice in the past and really enjoy the information you all provide. Well here is my problem. I have a 1990 Ranger 2.9L 4x4 with 119000 miles. When I decellerate or shift down while regular in town driving in after 30min or so my rig decides it wants to start cutting out. What I mean is the tach will jump around and act like it wants to die, when I acclerating again it pulls out of it and runs fine. So to be more clear, lets say I am slowing to a stop light and I shift down from third to second, I let out the clutch and whammo the engine acts like its missing as I tried to explain above. I can put it into neutral and it will go back to idle. Other related problems I have had is sitting at a stop light, the engine will just die, it will start just fine again but dies again unless I go. Anyone want to shed some light on this for me. I know this may sound confusing but this is tough to explain. This only happens when the engine is at operating temp.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Tom

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all,

I have used this site for advice in the past and really enjoy the information you all provide. Well here is my problem. I have a 1990 Ranger 2.9L 4x4 with 119000 miles. When I decellerate or shift down while regular in town driving in after 30min or so my rig decides it wants to start cutting out. What I mean is the tach will jump around and act like it wants to die, when I acclerating again it pulls out of it and runs fine. So to be more clear, lets say I am slowing to a stop light and I shift down from third to second, I let out the clutch and whammo the engine acts like its missing as I tried to explain above. I can put it into neutral and it will go back to idle. Other related problems I have had is sitting at a stop light, the engine will just die, it will start just fine again but dies again unless I go. Anyone want to shed some light on this for me. I know this may sound confusing but this is tough to explain. This only happens when the engine is at operating temp.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Tom
check/replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator (fpr)
also you may have a failing TFI...or a simple vacuum leak?
or the AIC could be acting up...remove & clean w/carb cleaner and replace, see if it improves.

also maybe the air temp sensor.

random thoughts...hope that helps

88RangerXLT

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My TFI was failing in my 88 2.9 and did the exact same thing. They only cost like $30 new and are east to replace. Just make sure you get the removal tool when you buy a new one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals