• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 5.0 RangerSAS

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
So im moving over here for my build page my other thread is a jumbled mess and missing some pics so i figured i come over her.
So the background story bought the ranger when i was stationed in San Diego for $2500. Buddy of mine out there had some 33 mudstars on his f150 that wasent running right so i traded him labor for tires as he was getting new tires and didnt like the road noise. Worked out good for me because the off brand a/ts that were on the truck had belts showing. Got some explorer rims and sold the cheep aluminum rims that the po put on the truck and came out 200 ahead. Tires didnt fit had some good rubbin going on up front so it got body lifted.
Thats how it sat for 100000 miles then the 4.0 went boom.
So off to the jy for a 5.0

The 5.0 from the jy was rough but for the price it was worth it not that i had a budget.
Pulled the 4.0 once the weather started warming up

Started gathering parts. Didnt tell the wife she wasent happy when they showed up but you know how it goes better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Got a pair of bbk shorties off a guy from craigslist for 100 bucks bolted them up and did some test fitting before the engine refresh.

They kinda fit but it was tight so i raised the motor up 2 inches which gave me a little room to get the exhaust in there without notching the frame.
Since i live in an emissions area the egr valve needs to be there so i had to poke a hole in perfectly good headers

Then the engine clean up started
Replaced all the gaskets and seals cleaned the carbon out and the 15 years of grease off the block.

After a fresh coat of paint it was on to plug wires running bbk shorties the stock wires didnt fit so picked up some msd 90* boots and the tool and made some wires.

The motor going in for the last time. (Until dart block time)

Workin by my self couldnt really take any pictures of the process but it was straight foward really short chain and a new harbor freight ram the old one craped out so i got the 8 ton air over ram which was the best 60 bucks i spent after coupon.
Got the motor in so it was on to trans and transfer case. Not wanting awd i opted to go with a bw4406 found one at a small jy in the great city of Gary Indiana for 150 bucks with the shift linkage and leaver it was a steal.

Then it was time to install didnt worry about cleaning them up or painting because i was unsure of their condition.

Plumbing was next so i went to the pic n pull got a trans cooler and power steering cooler off a f150 somthing and mounted them behind the bumper.

Got it all plumbed up the cooler is the only picture i took that day working on it with limited time before a night shift.
Then the wiring puzzle.
1. Lenghened the wires on the 42 pin connecter so it would reach the body plug about 3 hours of soldering.
2. The pats issue, so being a 98 motor it has its own pcm and is not supposed to be interchangeable with other models. Working with rangersvt he had the idea of running a 96-97 pcm which is great because of no pats. The 98 is a return style fuel system so is the 96-97 which is good.
3. The transmission the 98 4r70w is different than the previous years its an upgrade but the trans wiring is different so after spending a few hours of reaserch and reading the diagrams i decided to just hook up the 98 trans harness and use the 97 computer i found at the pic n pull on a 50% off day cost me $5 and some change.
4. Starting and charging got some battery cable from the mom and pop hardware store and made a new starting and charging harness just copied the rangers just longer.
5. Installed the computer and droped the battery back in and the big moment was here. Hoped in the truck turned the key and nothing. Frogot the nss issue so i jumpered the the switch out still nothing. Pulled the old multi meter out and had the wife turn the key to start and didnt have any power at the excite wire for the starter. After messing with it i grabed the screwdriver and jumped the starter and it fired.
6. Not wanting to screwdriver it every time i guted the foglight button so and made it a momentary switch and wired a relay and made it push button start.
7. Engine codes P0141, P0161, and P0500. The P0500 is vss related so the 4406 has the speed sensor i need for the 96-97 just have to wire it up its on the to do list. Not getting a good speed signal explanes the shifting late at wot.

Shorted the drive shaft and got a conversion joint it was ready to drive.
Took it around the block with open headers no bed or tail lights. The transmission was shifting good at slow speeds so it was burnout time. The local law enforcement didnt like that got pulled over doing 55 in a 40 the cop was cool and told me to take it home after looking at for 10 minutes.
Put the bed back on my dad has a crane on the back of his service truck which was nice.

Drove it around for a week or so there was some grinding noises and the trans was slippin a bit on take off so out it came.
Did a full rebuild on the trans and transfer case put in a new torque converter and pump cleaned them and shot some paint

The trans got some Raybestos clutches and a transgo shift kit im also running a b&m quick silver shifter if your going to run a b&m shifter the shift arm kit for the 4r70w is a pain to find so make sure you email or call the company before you order after 2 tries from amazon and summit i found one on ebay that was in stock.
Random pic of the little one working on the truck

Took my eye off him for a second and he climbed right up there

The exhaust is 2.5 with some magnaflow muffler was on the truck when i bought it 7 years ago i got some full flow test cats from silicone intake systems they look like cats but are a shield welded to a solid piece of tube.
(Ill take some pics if u guys want it runs down under trans then on the passenger side and dumps out infront of the tire)

Tomarrow its going to get a drive shaft made thats ranout and balanced to get rid of some driveline vibration issues it has.

Last edited:

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Next is the SAS got a dana 30 for free needs regeared and some chromoly shafts but will work for the time being untill i find a deal on 60s or a donor truck gathering parts now

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals