• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 4.0 with P0401 egr code

A. Wayne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok- I quickly checked the vacuum lines going to/from egr sensor, and unplugged line to valve. With the vacuum line unplugged from the valve, I can feel pulses of vacuum coming from the line at an idle. Any thoughts on where to go next? I don't know if the sensor is sending enough vacuum to the valve, or if it is sending vacuum at the right time. I plan on taking the valve off, cleaning it and trying to manually operate it to ensure it isn't siezed. Should I just start throwing parts at the truck? And most imprtantly, how do I clear the code? Just unplug the battery, or do I need a scanner, or can I use a jumper wire betweeen some of the ports on the scanner port on the truck?

Damon Owen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have the same error code, low EGR flow. I swapped out the EGR valve and the light came back on. After a couple of days the truck wants to stall out when I shift through neutral. I can feather the throttle and it runs smooth while in neutral. I don't know if I should change out the EGR solenoid and keep working through the EGR system. The neutral stall seems like a vacuum leak kinda deal, but I dunno'. I know lots of folks deal with the PO401 code-any ideas?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I replaced my whole EGR system before checking to make sure I didn't have any carbon build-up. Bad mistake because it would have saved me a bunch of greenbacks if I did.

Before...

After two cans of throttle body cleaner...

Well now I no I can go for a long ass time without having to worry about my EGR system. :D

Here's a link to some DPFE sensors... http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1372711,parttype,5088

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals