• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 4.0 V6 4x4 "Bumping" issue?

Mr.Wizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey guys, got an interesting problem and I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with it? I've got an original lower control arm lift on the front (Unsure of the brand but similar to the one rough country sells) and a body lift in the rear with 33x12.5 BFGs, appropriate offset rims - all tires are pretty new. I haven't re-aligned them yet if that's relevant. I blew my front right CV axle (likely due to the lift) and replaced them and all the sway bar stabilizer bushings, everything else on the front looked fine. I'm still having an odd symptom where it sounds like a decent size rock is stuck in one of the tires while I'm accelerating (And no, there is not a rock stuck in them). I can't pin down the location yet if it's front/rear or a certain side, it feels like driver but I'm unsure. I replaced the entire rear axle with a 120k B2000 setup awhile back after blowing out my rear diff offroading so while It's possible I think that mileage is a bit low for another rear diff issue. I've read that I still need to check the slip axle and U-clips on the drive shafts but the descriptions sound more severe in my case than what I've read up on - I did do a quick hand turn check for slop and both drive shafts seem sturdy. I've also read there's a pin of some sort in the rear diff that can work it's way loose and those symptoms sound more similar to mine but I'm yet to pull the diff cover and give it a look. The "bump" is definitely tied to the drive train spinning and increases with acceleration from low speed until you don't notice it as much at 35+. Has anyone had or heard of a similar problem and have any advice that I haven't covered when it comes to places to look?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I've never seen a lower control arm lift for an SLA equipped truck. The only thing it could be is reindexed torsion bar keys. Are you sure you only have a body lift in the rear? Body lifts are always under every body mount... both front and rear.

Probably the first thing I would do is pull the rear diff cover and have a look. Inspect for broken bits and metalic particles laying in the bottom. Inspect every gear tooth fir chips missing and ensure there is not a lot of slop. Is it a traction loc or open rear end?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals