• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 ranger edge... $6Gs too much?

xcaptnfantasticx

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am trying to find my first ranger and I found an 02 rager edge for $6000. it has 67,000 miles and is a 3.0 v6. what do you think? good price? keep looking? Thanks

mdmarble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That sounds like a really frkn good price. $6000!!!!! I got my 02 xlt 3.0 Supercab 4 door for 8500 with only 32k miles on it. I saw it and didnt think the price was bad. I checked out Kelly Blue Book, www.kbb.com, and found out it was almost worth 10K bucks with what it had in it.

I love the edge models. They come standard with front torsion bars rather than coil springs, and cosmetically, there bitchin as hell. Eveything is just about the same except the plastic floor instead of carpet. I think it looks cooler, and its a hell of a lot nicer than carpet. When I go to the beach I dont need to wory about sand as much, if you go muddin you dont need to wory about getting mud on your carpet or any snow or dirt from offroading.

If its in good condition, get it. That seems real cheap. What engine does it have, and is it 4WD?? stick shift or auto? Make sure you check kelly blue book.

grizzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If it's not a salvage title or something, that's an amazing price.

For my 01 3.0 supercab with ~50K , i paid $7700.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
Thats a pretty good price, KBB says my '02 is worth $6500 w/ 123,000 Mi on it,and I see them go for more then that all the time. I payed $3500 for mine but thats one of them once in a life time deals so dont expect to pay that little.\

Oh and the viynal floor, Best thing ever put in a truck.

mdmarble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thats a pretty good price, KBB says my '02 is worth $6500 w/ 123,000 Mi on it,and I see them go for more then that all the time. I payed $3500 for mine but thats one of them once in a life time deals so dont expect to pay that little.\

Oh and the viynal floor, Best thing ever put in a truck.
you know what I'm talkig about, viynal floors kick ass

xcaptnfantasticx

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
it's an extra cab and it is automatic transmission. I guess my only other question is how long... with regular maintenance of course... will this engine last mileage wise before a rebuild? I have seen a few on sale with around 200,000... is this normal. I mean 67,000 is not a ton of miles, but it is still over 50,000 it seems this is when problems would start happening... at about 75,000. I hope I'm way wrong.

freebird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i got 179,000 on my 99 ford ranger. Engine was never rebuilt. If you care for it. You know regular scheduled maint. and Keep on top of taking good care of your stuff. it will last a long time.

xcaptnfantasticx

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
how about mileage... MPG. I'm in Southern California where gas is 3.30/gallon. I don't drive too much but i'm used to 25/30 with my last car. can I even expect 20? (oh ya i checked and it is a manual not automatic if that changes anything)

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
My truck w/ the 3.0 and an auto gets about 17 - 18 mpg around town.

If you look in the 3.0 forum, theres a thread about how many miels ppl have on the trucks. theres all sorts of ppl w/ well over 100,000 on there trucks w/ little to no problems.

michowski

Reaction score
as long as you do regular maitence to your truck and change the oil on time, keep it in tune, ect it will last you a very long time.

mdmarble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
3.0's are great engines. I have one in my truck, and they have potential in them like any other truck. I'm averaging 15-16 mpg, with an automatic tranny in town, with stop and go traffic lights. Just to and from school, my engine is cold half way there, and I've got about seven lights to stop at. I get about 20.5 mpg on the highway. The way I see it, if you can afford to buy the truck, than you can afford to fill the fuel tank too. Plus, with a manual transmission, you will do a lot better than me on MPG. You could proably get 18-19 in the city.

If the truck looks clean, no stains, no scratches or dents, looks like something you would take care of, than the engine is probably the same way. If the person would drive his truck for 67000 miles and keep it clean, no stains, tears, no dents or scratches that havent been repaired, and the engine comaprtement is clean, then chances are he kept up on the engine. You can tell on the inside of the vehicle if they kept up on the engine. The 3.0 will last for ever.

The 3.0 isnt the most powerful engine, and if that is what your truly looking for, than your in for a dissapointment. Dont rev your engine at your buddies tacoma, thinking he has a pussy toyota. You wont beat him. I had that dissapointment.

I wouldnt pass the truck up because of its engine if thats what your looking for. If you NEED the power because your a landscape developer and you need the power to haul a bed full of soil up steep hills in San Francisco, than ok, otherwise there is always things you can do to get more out of your engine.

xcaptnfantasticx

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well I went to check it out today. It actually has 55,000 miles. it is VERY clean inside and out... but I am having an extremely hard time with the fact that it is a STEPSIDE... I have to carry two dirtbikes three times a month and I honestly don't think this tiny little bed can do it. Plus I think it looks kinda gay personally. can anyone talk me into spending my money on a great truck with a terrible bed? haha can I switch it out with a crashed truck maybe??? stepside??? why do they even do that!!! seriously is this a deal killer? it may be.

DRangerd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 & 92
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would still get it for 6K. I get 2 bikes in my (regular) bed but they're not over the wheel wells, bars cocked a little, shud be the same.
Or swap a junkyard bed in, I bet it wud fit, Tech guys?

mdmarble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That is probably one of the biggest let downs in the world. You find a truck that you think is the coolest truck ever, and then its got one of the worlds gayest frkn options. I'm thinking exactly what youre thinking. WTF is with a stepside bed. Its not an F-250 with an 8" lift that would probably to jump up the side front area of the bed to grab something out rather than opening the tailgate and running all the way forward.

As for sticking dirt bikes in it, I have no clue if they both would fit. One guy posted a forum on dirt bike carriers he found on ebay. Go to ebay.com and search motorcycle carrier. They hook up to the trailer hitch. You could do that for a while as an alternative if the dirt bikes couldnt fit, and if it could work out and worth the money, get an old bed off an older, totalled truck. Go to a Ford dealership and see what the bolt patterns are and if it would be feasible to transfer a new bed onto it. I would still get it, but check into seeing if you could transfer a new bed onto it.

Good luck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals