• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2007 silverado gas issue

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Hey guys my stepdads silverado 2500hd crewcab has the weirdest issue(I hate the 20 foot long pos as it is). He had me go get gas last night for him and I experienced the issue first hand. It don't matter if filling up from empty it keeps shutting off the pump like its full all the way through. It took me 25 minutes and an attack by a gas attendant thinking I was doing some extreme topping off. as i pull the gas lever it pops like the tank is full, every time. I told my stepdad and he says it happens at every pump. what can be the issue? besides the fact its a chevy:icon_rofl:?

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
That has happened to me once before in the Ranger. I concluded that the particular pump I was parked at was at an angle, and the truck was higher on one side than the other. I think (in my case at least) that the gas was not level in the tank and the pump was tricked into thinking the tank was full.
I ended up having to do the same thing you did to get my last 7 gallons in.
Does this happen at any station and any pump?

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
That has happened to me once before in the Ranger. I concluded that the particular pump I was parked at was at an angle, and the truck was higher on one side than the other. I think (in my case at least) that the gas was not level in the tank and the pump was tricked into thinking the tank was full.
I ended up having to do the same thing you did to get my last 7 gallons in.
Does this happen at any station and any pump?
Every station, every pump. He had a lift and upgraded suspension installed from the dealership. the truck totally feels like its leaning. I'm 100% sure the suspension is covered under warranty and think it may be the issue. thats chevrolet for you. my mom has a $50,000 2008 tahoe thats broken down in the garage. I swear 2006 plus chevys are no better than kias. its funny that my 11 year old ranger is the best running vehicle at the house

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Actually it's ALL GM products, not just 2006 and newer!! Why do you think GM came out with OnStar????

And GM's follow-on to OnStar, seen at SEMA 2006 in Las Vegas:

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Actually it's ALL GM products, not just 2006 and newer!! Why do you think GM came out with OnStar????

well the 2003 work trucks at 190K and just starting to have tranny issues. its always towed a dual axle 7000LB trailer from 40k miles on. although the truck in question is the exact same model as the POS that dont want gas

Last edited:

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My dad hates his Silverado. I don't like it either, but the 5.3L V-8 has some serious cojones!

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My dad hates his Silverado. I don't like it either, but the 5.3L V-8 has some serious cojones!
the 6.0 seems like it has less cojones, all torque.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
And then there was OnStar.........

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Well to each his own. ill never own a furd full size truck. got 135K on the clock on mine and dont plan on gettin rid of her at all. Hell ill be runnin 13 seconds in the 1/4 on 37s here in three weeks! and the motor will still last till at least 200K.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Well to each his own. ill never own a furd full size truck. got 135K on the clock on mine and dont plan on gettin rid of her at all. Hell ill be runnin 13 seconds in the 1/4 on 37s here in three weeks! and the motor will still last till at least 200K.
I guess this was deserved as Im the worst about doing it to others:threadjacked:

li7in6

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys my stepdads silverado 2500hd crewcab has the weirdest issue(I hate the 20 foot long pos as it is). He had me go get gas last night for him and I experienced the issue first hand. It don't matter if filling up from empty it keeps shutting off the pump like its full all the way through. It took me 25 minutes and an attack by a gas attendant thinking I was doing some extreme topping off. as i pull the gas lever it pops like the tank is full, every time. I told my stepdad and he says it happens at every pump. what can be the issue? besides the fact its a chevy:icon_rofl:?
Hate to break it to you but my ranger does that same thing. Every pump, every time. So i guess ford is just as much a piece of shit as chevy?:thefinger:

I end up having to pull the nozzle out halfway and kinda hang it there and set the autofill stop and it works. Otherwise it pops a half second after you pull the trigger.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Sometimes it can be caused by a plugged vent line.

TType

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Or vent valve/solenoid.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Or vent valve/solenoid.
so if we dont use the ac and close the vents we should be able to fill the tank maybe?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals