• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 FX4 Fuel Capacity

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The fuel tank capacity is listed as 19.5 gal. What is the actual useable fuel? The warning light comes on at around 16 gal.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I've never pushed mine far enough to tell you. I'm typically filling up well before the light comes on.

That said... the has come on a couple times and once I pushed it to get me to my exit. I put just over 17 gallons in.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Warning light generally comes on when the range goes below 50 miles.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My light comes on about 2 gallons from empty. So somewhere around 36-38 miles of lee way. I never intentionally push it.

As a guess, since I've never ran it until the engine quits or even came close, is some where around a gallon of fuel left, the pump will start cavitating and you'll be running on what's left in the fuel line.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
My light comes on about 2 gallons from empty. So somewhere around 36-38 miles of lee way. I never intentionally push it.

As a guess, since I've never ran it until the engine quits or even came close, is some where around a gallon of fuel left, the pump will start cavitating and you'll be running on what's left in the fuel line.
My 2020 officially holds 18 gallons but I've filled it up with as much as 19.2. :yahoo:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The fuel tank capacity is listed as 19.5 gal. What is the actual useable fuel? The warning light comes on at around 16 gal.
Every vehicle could be different. Probably atleast 19 gallons usable.

Better question is what is the "reserve" after you hit enpty. AKA how far will it go on empty? Best way to find out is throw a gas can in the bed, let it hit E, then drive till it runs out. My 99 will do right at 30 miles after it hits empty, so about 2 gallons in reserve. Again every vehicle is probably different.

Better than my F-250 atleast. It doesn't have a reserve, it runs out at 1/4 tank. Something wrong with the sending unit in the tank, but since it's got a 26 gallon tank and will do better than 300 miles before hitting that point, I haven't bothered trying to fix it yet.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Every vehicle could be different. Probably atleast 19 gallons usable.

Better question is what is the "reserve" after you hit enpty. AKA how far will it go on empty? Best way to find out is throw a gas can in the bed, let it hit E, then drive till it runs out. My 99 will do right at 30 miles after it hits empty, so about 2 gallons in reserve. Again every vehicle is probably different.

Better than my F-250 atleast. It doesn't have a reserve, it runs out at 1/4 tank. Something wrong with the sending unit in the tank, but since it's got a 26 gallon tank and will do better than 300 miles before hitting that point, I haven't bothered trying to fix it yet.
It won't go anywhere when its empty unless it's downhill or being towed.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I ran mine down as far as I dared when I needed to change the fuel pump, and put about 18 in it after that. I was worried that it was going to run out by that point. 17 is about as far as I want to go, and usually I am putting 14-15 in during normal fill cycles. (Of course the new fuel pump died in short order, so then I got to change it again with the tank half full, that was not fun...)

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It won't go anywhere when its empty unless it's downhill or being towed.
True, but hits "E" empty and runs out empty can be two different things. Never know what might happen, so I like to know how far I can push it. Also that's why I said put a gas can in the bed, that way you can get back to the gas station after you run it out. Didn't think I needed to specify putting gas in the can before attempting this.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also can depend on if the fuel pump assembly has been replaced
i.e. the float adjustment

Next time the light comes on fill it up
Subtract the gallons it took from 16.5(or 19.5) and you will know how many gallons were left
Then multiply that by your last MPG calculation and you will know how many miles you have left when the light comes on, if there are NO CORNERS, lol
3gal left X 18MPG = 54miles left to Empty

When fuel level is low and you go around a corner the fuel sloshes to one side and the fuel pump can suck in air, and that will cause engine to buck a bit as air instead of fuel comes out the injectors

Last edited:

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 2011 supercab 4x4 with 4.0 and automatic, 19.5 gallon tank

I let the light come on all the time, one of these days it will burn out and I'll be screwed.

Light comes on as I'm leaving home, drive the 12 miles to work, 12 miles back home and fill up at the corner station by my house.

Tonight it took 15.7 gallons, so I had almost 4 gallons in tank, could have safely drove back and forth to work 1 more time.

So for me, I fill up anytime the light comes on, on my way home, might be anywhere from 13.5 gallons to 16 gallons to fill.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Most likely the pickup "foot" at the end of the tube. They are notorious for deteriorating and falling off. Leaves the tube about 2-3 inches above the bottom of the tank.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
on flat ground or going up a long hill???
I can envision a couple gallons of gas the pickup can't get to if you're on an incline.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
True, but hits "E" empty and runs out empty can be two different things. Never know what might happen, so I like to know how far I can push it. Also that's why I said put a gas can in the bed, that way you can get back to the gas station after you run it out. Didn't think I needed to specify putting gas in the can before attempting this.
The guage on E means it's low, it's empty when it quits running, the gauge can show E when there is 3-4 gallons left.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The guage on E means it's low, it's empty when it quits running, the gauge can show E when there is 3-4 gallons left.
No, the E on the gauge definitely means empty. If it meant low they would have put an L there. They actually put a low fuel warning light on newer vehicles (don't know about those Rangers) to warn when the fuel level is getting low bvecause people have a habit of ignoring their gauges. Will it keep running after hitting E, and is there some gas left in the tank? Sure, that's by design in most cases, but E on the gauge is what the OEM considers to be empty (at least with the original sender).

Most likely the pickup "foot" at the end of the tube. They are notorious for deteriorating and falling off. Leaves the tube about 2-3 inches above the bottom of the tank.
I am aware. My dad (the previous owner) also said that this happened to him before and there was a little rubber check valve on the sender that had come loose and was causing the issue. I'll get around to fixing it someday. Either fixing the check valve or doing the hutch & harpoon mods on the tank and sending unit. Hutch removes the in tank strainers and extends the pickup and return, harpoon modifies the vent in the filler neck allowing for a few extra gallons in the tank.

As long as I am aware of the problem, I can avoid driving below 1/4 tank and it isn't a pressing concern.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals