• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2009 ranger xl 4wd smoother ride?

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
I run 235 75 15 lt tires with 25 psi... stock size. My door sticker list 35 psi. I don't know why. It's way too harsh. Just bought the truck, it has newer blue shocks, so I'm thinking monroe? Idk. I was used to my other truck running 33s with 25 psi and Ranchos. It was really smooth I don't care much about how long the tires lasts or handling, I'm 49 years old and drive accordingly lol... my question is if you guys know of soft shocks, maybe Ranchos? Or was it the combination of the Ranchos and the weight of the 33s? Maybe a smaller torsion bar set?
20230318_101424~2.jpg
20230204_043703.jpg

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bounce the truck at the front to see what it feels like
Then disconnect one end of each front shocks
And bounce it again

If it feels the same then its over sprung(for your taste), softer shocks won't matter/help
If it feels softer, easier to bounce, then yes, softer shocks will help

Same for the rear

The Springs are part of the suspension, shocks are just their to prevent springs from being too much like springs, lol, and continue bouncing like springs should do
You can get shocks that are stiffer, so prevent springs from being too springy :)
Its all a matter of what you want as the end result

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I will tell you that the new Rancho (stock replacement FX4) front shocks that I put on the 09 a year or so ago are so soft its almost like having no shocks on the front. I think they are junk.

I also know that some tires are much more stiff than others. Most of the Firestone Destination tires I have seen ride okay, but maybe the ones you have are just really stiff - are they load range C tires? (Those are way stiffer.)

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
since you have snow in the picture it's worth noting that some shocks are much stiffer in cold temperatures, the oil gets thicker.
are they different on warmer days?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Try backing the torsion bars off about 2 turns each, see if that helps out... it looks like you have plenty of tire clearance, if they're near maxxed out it'll ride like a brick...

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Scotts90ranger is right, if they are too cranked, the ride leaves a lot to be desired. The torsion bars you have now are the medium level. F is the weakest, B is the mid grade, and #1 is the stiffest.

It may not even be a bad idea to look into a set of replacement torsion bars depending on the mileage. When I replaced mine (I went from B to #1) and they were not adjusted as high, the ride dramatically improved. I also added Rancho shocks at that time, but am now switching over to Bilstein's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals