• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 ABS/Traction Control Delete

OEMcustom

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Gentlemen,
thanks for this forum, it has been a wonderful resource for me for the past 15 years or so.
I ordered my ranger direct from ford through a program they had for overseas mil guys to get a new car at basically invoice price, and I have been mercilessly wailing on it ever since. I will say if I could buy this truck new for 22k again, the answer is immediately yes.

Anyhow, the most horrific stock component of this vehicle is the traction control. Sure, it will sorta kinda not really turn off if you push the button and maybe a little bit more turn it off if you hold it, but I want that thing completely off. So far, the only time i experienced it fully off was when I had a throttle position sensor go bad and when i replaced it, a pin pushed out, which got me thinking.

As far as I know, there is no way to software delete the traction control, so I was thinking if i ran a wire with a toggle in the cab to disconnect the ABS sensor in the rear diff, would this disable both ABS and TC? And has anyone on this forum found a way to permanently disable traction control, without also disabling ABS?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Watch out. Somewhere in there the computer is using a speed sensor for the speedometer and to run the transmission/engine. Is it the sensor in the rearend or another somewhere else? I don't know, but I guess you could unplug it and see what happens.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My understanding is that the speed is picked up off the rear axle but I may be wrong on that.

The traction control system is a mixed blessing. It helps make up for having an open diffetential and uses the brake system for better traction. The only time I know of the system being completely disabled is in 4 Low.

As far as completely disabling the ABS, there might be a fuse you can pull. That would also disable the traction control since it uses the ABS sensors to operate.

Of course, the ABS light will be on all the time and probably the traction control light. Depending on where you live, passing a safety inspection might be a problem if those lights are on. So, permenently disabling the system might be a bad idea for that reason. Pulling a fuse or two might be the better answer.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
2011 is 4 wheel anti loc. Each wheel has its own sensor.

Try pulling the traction control fuse if there is one. I don't have 2011 Electrical schematics.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Traction control is pure junk, never been in a situation with any vehicle where it was helpful, been in plenty of situations where it was a hindrance though, same goes for ABS. Disconnect one of the front wheel speed sensors and it will disable both.

OEMcustom

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Traction control is pure junk, never been in a situation with any vehicle where it was helpful, been in plenty of situations where it was a hindrance though, same goes for ABS. Disconnect one of the front wheel speed sensors and it will disable both.
I figure running a wire to one of these with a switch in the cab will make it easier than pulling/reinstalling a fuze or letting a sensor dangle as I go about my shenanigans

OEMcustom

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Update: i ran a switch to the front right speed sensor. Flipping the switch disables ABS and traction control when in 2 hi or 4 hi, completely. However, after the mod, cruise control no longer works. Ill get in to it when I'm concerned about cruise control working again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals