• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2nd Gen 2wd Lift opinions

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
OK so my brother got my grandpas old truck. 1990 Ranger xlt 2wd, 4.0L/Auto, Extended Cab with a shell on the back.

Anyways its got the stock 14" rims and like 185/60R14's or something rediculously small. And my mom told me to find a way to get bigger tires under it cause it looks dumb. I was surprised at this but completely agree that he needs some bigger tires and possibly a gear swap.

I'm thinking about going with some 235/75R15's, they are living in ohio and he does no off roading except maybe to drive to a shooting range or something so nothing major is necissary. Just something to get it up off the ground.

A body lift would be fine but I would much prefer to do coil spacers or something and blocks or shackels in the back so that the suspension is getting more travel and it doesn't look like a frame draggin chevy. I looked all over this site and the only thing i found that was close was a second gen with a 4" lift and 31's. You guys have any pictures I can compare? Ideas?

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
You can check Ebay for starts. Springtech on Ebay has stuff for 2wd. I used their 2 inch taller coil springs and I love them. I added the Fabtech spindle lift and the coils at the same time. Lots of lift to fit the 33x12.5 KO tires I put on. Yours is a bit older and I know the suspension has changed so much over the years. JC Whitney has lifts as well. You can check them out.

Good luck and git rid of those 14 inchers!!!! lol

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
a 3" bodylift, some 2" blocks and some coil spacers will give u enough clearance for 31"s

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
How about swapping in taller coils from a 4x4? And then a shackle lift in the rear using the chevy lowering shackes? Do you think either of these would work? I don't deal with 2wd trucks much but I would think some of the same tricks should apply.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah this is why I'm curious, asking 2wd guys. I deal with 4x4's almost exclusively with the exception of my friends truck and now my brothers. I don't know much about 2wd and how low they sit. I'm basically looking for an idea of how much lift I am going to need to be able to fit 235's comfortably. From what I can tell its around 4" or so?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals