• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanted 2wd bronco ll rear sway bar 85?

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Looking for the big rear bar on the mid 80s 2wd bronco ll's.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you don't have any luck finding a rear bar from a Bronco 2, you can try doing what I did and take a bar from an F-150 and bend it on a 20 ton press so the arms come in a little bit. It worked for me on my race truck.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in the very same boat. Been looking for one for over a year. I'm not sure if I will ever find a big Bronco bar. I'm told that and Explorer bar from the same year as your truck will also fit behind the differential. I might just try that.

In the meantime I put on some leaf spring clamps six inches forward of the axle. They make a difference.
Leaf Spring Clamp.jpg

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
This is an 85 BR11 4 X 4 . Is this what your looking for?
Perhaps. That bar is bent in the right way, but there are 2 different thicknesses. The bar I would need is 7/8" or 1" thick. The other bar is smaller and not much different than what is already on my Ranger.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Measured all , 2 88 s , 90 , 85 and 86. All 3/4 .

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for getting back so soon. Those bars are better than the 5/8" bars which are already found in the Ranger, but that difference is not quite enough to make the upgrade worth the while. I am looking for the bigger sway bar which (I think) is found in the 2WD Broncos.

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, the big bar came on the 2wd model, possibly the "sport", but definitely the 2wd. The 4wd got the smaller bar for more suspension articulation, for off-road driving.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I remember finding a Bronco II at a junk yard, grabbed my tools and climbed under it right away. I also remember the heartbreak, discovering it was a 4WD.

I'm also told that not every Ranger came with a sway bar. I don't know if that's true, but for sure, that 4WD BII bar would be a very nice upgrade.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Man.. my 96 could probably use one of those..
It would be stiffer than a Ranger bar. Someone said a Mazda is a bit bigger too.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
@Lefty i see that there's some 7/8" rear bar kits available on ebay from Hellwig.. bar, brackets, end links and hardware for 390$ shipped to your front porch..

Not as cheap as junkyard diving.. no. But a whole lot easier, brand new, and it'll be on your front porch in 3 days!

My truck doesn't have a rear bar at all actually.. but my plans for the truck do call for one.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I think 2wd and 4x4 Bronco II's probably used the same bar. I've only seen one 2wd Bronco II but it had a dummy transfercase and the rear driveshaft and axle looked the same.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
@Lefty i see that there's some 7/8" rear bar kits available on ebay from Hellwig.. bar, brackets, end links and hardware for 390$ shipped to your front porch..

Not as cheap as junkyard diving.. no. But a whole lot easier, brand new, and it'll be on your front porch in 3 days!

My truck doesn't have a rear bar at all actually.. but my plans for the truck do call for one.
Yup, I'm sure I would love one, but it's just a little rich for me...at least right now. Also that Hellwig is mounted just behind the differential. I could do the very same with a bar from an Exploder. I do actually have one I've pulled and got on the cheap.

My next project is a set of Ching-Chong slotted and cross drilled rotors for the front end and a regular brake job for the drums in back. I want to stop a little faster just for safety's sake. That's a bigger priority.

Those leaf spring clamps have already made a very big difference back there. If you haven't done so, try them. I'm not even sure if a nice bar will improve upon them. So I will just wait.

And yes, I waited for over a year looking for a decent junk differential then gave up and bought a new one anyway.

Last edited:

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, I'm sure I would love one, but it's just a little rich for me...at least right now. Also that Hellwig is mounted just behind the differential. I could do the very same with a bar from an Exploder. I do actually have one I've pulled and got on the cheap.

My next project is a set of Ching-Chong slotted and cross drilled rotors for the front end and a regular brake job for the drums in back. I want to stop a little faster just for safety's sake. That's a bigger priority.

Those leaf spring clamps have already made a very big difference back there. If you haven't done so, try them. I'm not even sure if a nice bar will improve upon them. So I will just wait.

And yes, I waited for over a year looking for a decent junk differential then gave up and bought a new one anyway.
On the brakes, i recommend the power stop kits from ebay. I have the drilled/slotted fronts on my 97 with the good pads. They have been great for over 2 years, most of that with no rear brakes at all due to a blown wheel cylinder that i haven't fixed because im going with mustang rear disc soon. I am also upgrading the front to the sport trac rotors & new power stop calipers & brackets. Just need to buy the braided hoses now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals