• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Auto to manual swap

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Have a 99 xcab 4x4 3.0 auto. This trans is getting old and sloppy. My neighbor's kid wrecked his 99 reg cab 4x4 3.0 manual trans. I was thinking of swapping out his motor (rebuilt with warranty) and trans with mine. I have done alot of searching and still have questions. Is the finished length the same for the auto and manual? In other words can I reuse my driveshafts? I will have a complete donor truck for the swap. I know the shaft length will be different though since xcab vs reg cab. Does the computer have to be swapped? if so is the computer flashed to be VIN specific? Anyone done this swap? How difficult? How much of a pain is the pedal bracket? Any help is appreciated.

littlehat

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The transmission lengths will be the same, so you'll be able to use your rear driveshaft. I don't know about front as i converted to a manual xfer case at the same time. You'll need to use the old computer as well as shorting a few wires on the old harness. here is an old thread that helped me with the wiring (second page)

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77525&page=2

edit: also good luck with the clutch master rod out of the donor without breaking it. be prepared to buy a new one if you don't have the right tools.

Last edited:

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The transmission lengths will be the same, so you'll be able to use your rear driveshaft. I don't know about front as i converted to a manual xfer case at the same time. You'll need to use the old computer as well as shorting a few wires on the old harness. here is an old thread that helped me with the wiring (second page)

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77525&page=2

edit: also good luck with the clutch master rod out of the donor without breaking it. be prepared to buy a new one if you don't have the right tools.
When you say old computer do you mean from my truck or the donor? Also what or why do I need to short wires in my harness...since I have the complete donor shouldn't I have everything to plug in like factory? I am going to pull the engine and trans from the donor truck and my truck, swap everything over (pedals, ,brackets, etc) then put the donor engine and trans in my truck. Hopefully everything will be plug and play? Im not sure if i can use my original computer or the one from the donor. I don't know a bunch about the computer part of things or if they are VIN specific. I was planning on using the donor engine harness, trans harness, etc. P.S. While the donor engine and trans is out I will put a new clutch etc. in before I install it in the truck. Anyone pulled the engine and trans together on one of these? Better yet anyone stab in a complete engine and trans in one of these? If so does the front clip need to come off or can you jockey it in without?

This truck was my son's xmas present from my dad. He gets his license in about 9 months so I got time! I was originally planning on a rebuilt trans until I found out how pricey they are for these things...then I stumbled into this donor. I figure it would be a good experience for my son to learn to drive a manual trans and clutches are cheaper than a rebuilt 4r44e.

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My truck has cruise control and the donor does not....If I use the donor computer will my cruise still work? if not what can be done to correct it?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals