• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 cam syncro gear

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well i got my new cam syncro today and it looks like tommrrow i will be installing my new cam syncro anyone got anytips or tricks on how to make it as easy as possible with out any problems and i got a quection i got a cap with an arrow on it with the new gear what is it for?

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's the alignment tool to make sure you put the new syncro exactly in the same positon as the old one was when you removed it.

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
how do i do that?

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never done one but logic would say you either remove existing cap to replace with the tool or place the tool over existing cap and note/mark the position/direction of arrow, then remove old sensor and put tool on top of new one to locate it's gear so that arrow point's to same position/direction as the one you took off. Be careful not to install new one even a tooth off the original's location. You could also put engine in TDCC first, but I don't think that's necessary.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
YEp! Ya put it on the old one NOW.. Make a mark at the end of the arrow on the block.. Then you pull the old one and install the new one and twist it till the arrow is on the mark.. Got it?
Big JIm

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
welp got it installed and some bad news the new cap wouldnt plug in to the plug they both look the same and and same size and everything they just dont work so i got it on as best as possible and everything lined up perfect went for a quick drive around the neighborhood and came home turned off the truck a couple of hours later me and the fiance wnt out to get her car from firestone and my check engine light was on so i checked and the plug was about off so i put the old one back on and it pluged up so i let it run went to advanced auto and they said i had to codes on was a P0304 and a P1336 i think i will find out tommrrow the finace is out with her girls drinkin tonite it might be a P1334. but all my marks match up with the pics i took and the white out marks i made its tightend down and everything is hookedup the way it needs to be and nothing came loose i cheked everything i might have touched and or bumped. and everything is good. i got pics to show that everything is lined up bu still have a check engine light so WTF???? it runs smooth i have to make sure its still running by looking at the tach. no jumps in idle at operating temp nor while warming up.
so im kinda at a loss at the time being. if it does have a miss you cant tell i drove up some mountains today where i know the motor has to really strain and still nothing. it runs quieter, smoother, and wel over all better my mpg got better as well not much but noticeable i would have to say atleast 1mpg better. the old one was about shot it had alot of up and down movement in the shaft and the gears were rounding out and you can see clean spots of the gear teeth on the old one so i stoped that bullet big time. so i think when the plug came loose it threw the 2 miss fire codes and they are still there and or the old cap maybe bad and i need to get another one. thats what i think i maybe wrong but hey thats why im askin yall. what do yall think is going on?? anyhelp would be great. and i will post sum pics up. sorry for the misspelled words the lap top is having problems with the key board it wont put every letter i press.

Last edited:

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
and here is before i pulled it out
and here it is after i put the new one in
and here it is all lined up

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Why don't you get Advance to erase the codes and see if they come back.

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
they said they couldnt because they only have a code reader nothing else. and i wasnt in any mood to talk to him about what he had so i just left

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
With the new emmisin test being done wher they connect to the computer all the parts stores are being hassled about clearing codes. Every reader I have seen clears them as well. But they will not and most will not let you use it so as to clear them yourself. But there is salvation, an 8mm wrench and the posiitive battery post. Remove postive battery cable for 1 to 2 minutes to clear code memory. This will at least allow you to runn the truck and see in the same codes return.

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok so ive about had it with this blankety blank truck my check engine light came on AGAIN!!! same mothertruckin codes and now it has a great loss of power!!! it use to have SOME get up and go now it drives like a 4banger(no offense) to any who does have one.
but it still runs great no hicup in the idle when cold or warm. so whats up with this dangum thing.
i have checked and checked and double checked my marks and they line up where they need to. now the cap that came with the new one didnt work it wouldnt plug into the plug so i just threw on the old one and the code went away for about a couple of days now its back on. so heres my questions are, could i have gotten the wrong cam syncro gear? i ask this cause the new cap wouldnt plug up cause the prongs on the inside were two big and the stock ones were smaller. so what do i do? im getting tired of not having enough power to get on the interstate. and the new cam syncro gear came from orileys. could that be my problem? or what im at a loss i leave april 13 for 6 months and dont want to come back home to a truck with problems if ya know what i mean.
i need some help guys any ideas on what is going on the better.
thanks for ur help

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When I did mine, it looked like it was lined up with the marks I made even though it was not. It was actually one tooth off on the gear.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You're probably off a tooth. I'd start over. Set the engine TDC compression. Go back to O'Reilly's and get the right alignment tool for the right syncro. (Personally, on an 07, I'd have gotten one from the dealer.) Take your old one for comparison. With engine at TDCC align the arrow on the tool so that it is 38 degrees to the left measured from an imaginary line running perpendicular to the firewall (zero degrees) - all while facing the rear of the engine.

The camshaft syncro is used to time fuel injector firing. If your truck has coil on plug then it also is used to select the ignition coil to fire.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals