• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 questions?

rangers92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.5 4cly
Transmission
Manual
My credo
no F**ks to give
:icon_welder:1. i changed my oil yesterday and flush it with two quarts of oil the added valvoline syntech 5w20 and a bosch distance pluls oil filter, when i started the truck after it proably took 3 to 5 seconds for oil pressure to show is this normal?
2. what are the benifits and pourpse of 3.73 gears.(know this is a engine fourm but i fig i would ask.)
3.about how much would it cost to have a shop backfluch my radiator and cooling system.
4. is 89 gas okay to run in my 3.0 all the time.?
5. is my truck a coil pack or distributer.

thank you for your time and insite,(keep in mind my truck is a 03 3.0 its got all the upgrades the 3.0 seen before they disco it,i.e domed pistons plastic intake roller cam i belive?? things like that.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
1. 3-5 seconds for the needle to move is above average. Do you hear lifters clattering on first start up?

2. 3.73 gears compared to what, 4.10, 3.55, etc?

3. Depends on the shop, but I would estimate in the range of 40-120 USD. FYI, I did mine at home for 15 USD.

4. 89 is fine, just costs you more than running 87.

5. Coil.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would stick with 87, on the sheer basis that 89 won't really get you anything else.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I would stick with 87, on the sheer basis that 89 won't really get you anything else.
+1. Using 89 octane is a waste of money. The truck was designed to use 87. If you can't use 87 for some reason (pinging, etc) then there's a problem that needs to be fixed.

As for the oil pressure: Its normal to not have any pressure for a few seconds after an oil change. The oil filter needs to get filled with oil first before oil gets pumped to the rest of the engine. Pre-filling the filter before installing it minimizes the amount of time without pressure.
One more thing: "flushing" an engine by pouring oil through it doesn't make any appreciable difference and is a waste of oil. The oil doesn't even touch most of the internal parts. (Example: the filler hole is on one of the valve covers right? So the oil goes through that cylinder head down to the pan, but it doesn't get anywhere near the other cylinder head!)

rangers92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.5 4cly
Transmission
Manual
My credo
no F**ks to give
well i didnt fill the oil filter so thats why it was a 3to5 second wait uassly it seems shorter of a wait when i change my oil but it was a bit longer this time. the oil pressuer is fine starts fine no vavle chatter nothing. uhm i choose to run 89 becuase it feels a bit smoother with it using 89. and when i run 87 it runs just fine to no missfires nothing. how much is a new coil? and how would i properly flush my oil. plus i want to flush my rad and cooling system my self but i dont know were the drain plug is on the 3.0 rad.

rangers92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.5 4cly
Transmission
Manual
My credo
no F**ks to give
oh and i mean like what are the benifits of 3.73 gears over other gear set. is it more low end torqe

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
oh and i mean like what are the benifits of 3.73 gears over other gear set. is it more low end torqe
I have 4.10 gears in my truck and have no complaints. Good off the line acceleration, and is at about 3k rpm at about 70.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
and how would i properly flush my oil
You don't need to flush the oil at all. Drain the old oil, and refill with fresh oil. That's all. No matter what you do, there will ALWAYS be some residual old oil in the engine when you change it. As long as you change it regularly, it's not a problem.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The "89" octane is probably 10% Ethanol. I prefer straight gas, or the "87" stuff. At least around here it's 89 for Ethanol, 87 for straight gas, and 91 for premium.

As for the gearing, I have 3.55's and they're not an issue for me, but I'm not doing anything outrageous with my truck either.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
well i didnt fill the oil filter so thats why it was a 3to5 second wait uassly it seems shorter of a wait when i change my oil but it was a bit longer this time. the oil pressuer is fine starts fine no vavle chatter nothing. uhm i choose to run 89 becuase it feels a bit smoother with it using 89. and when i run 87 it runs just fine to no missfires nothing. how much is a new coil? and how would i properly flush my oil. plus i want to flush my rad and cooling system my self but i dont know were the drain plug is on the 3.0 rad.
Yeah, its just like exbass94 siad, it will take a couple of seconds to get pressure with having to fill the filter up from dry.

The coil price will vary a little depending on where you go to get it. Jump onto Autozone, Napa, etc. and wee what they have for pricing.

The crain plug is on the lower right (maybe lower left) of the radiator. It should be a white or black plastic nut. If it will be the first time the system is flushed, it may not be a bad idea to just pull the lower hose when its drained after running the flush mix.

The higher numerically the gear set is, the more torque multiplication you get to the tires. The other pro/con is higher rpm at any given cruising speed, unless you offset the gearing with a larger tire; it all depends on what you want.

The "89" octane is probably 10% Ethanol. I prefer straight gas, or the "87" stuff. At least around here it's 89 for Ethanol, 87 for straight gas, and 91 for premium.
I need to dig up my ethanol chart for the US, it comes in handy for stuff like this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals