• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 trans build/swap My Head is exploading

solarparrot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have: 1998 ranger W/3.0 automatic W/OD RWD

The problem (other than me): I retired, moved to the high desert, hit a rock, dented the trans/pan exactly where the intake hole is for the filter. this caused the trans to start slipping, yadayada. I dilligently researched the identification of the Transmission in your forum and went to the local pick a part to grab a temporary to slap in while I build a beefcake rebuild.(screetching to a complete halt) your data indicates I have a 4r44e transmission and the hastings at the pull a part says i have a A4od.

I did find a tag attached to the rear of my trans that is stampped
"98GT EAA" and below that "07 G 23"

I use this truck to tow a water buffalo to and from my land where I am building a new home, so the rebuild will be a HD build.

Question 1; should I be looking for a newer generation trans to build that will be more durable for towing?

Question 2; what model would that be that would bolt onto the 3.0 (4r55 / 5r??) or are the a4ods more bullit proof?

I have built many transmissions in the past before electronics, so I am fairly confident the rebuild will go well.

any suggestions for shift mods while I'm inside will be greatly appreciated!

Bob

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
There is no such thing as an "A4od." There was an A4LD which was used in 94 and older Rangers, and the 4r44e is basically an upgraded, electronically controlled version of the A4LD. The A4LD and 4r44e/5r44e are the only RWD automatic transmissions ever put behind a 3.0, so that's what you're stuck with. An A4LD is a downgrade from the 4r44e, plus the electronic controls are different. So stick with the 4r44e. Put a big cooler on it, maybe a shift kit, and the upgraded valve body gasket and the trans should last you a long time.

solarparrot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is no such thing as an "A4od." .
Yes you are right they did say A4LD. Thanks for that your info is the same as what I understood. Thanks for the reminder about the cooler, Already planned the shift kit.

Bob

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals