• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0L issues....Help!!!

PayDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know what my problem is?

I've got a 94 3.0L that runs smooth, BUT......

...It's got milkshake in the rad, along with little black bits(Carbon???).
...I do an oil change every couple months because the oil gets washed down with something, (Coolant?) drasticly raising the oil level, and robbing power.
...The truck sometimes smokes a lot from the tail pipe (steam?) when started, but cleans up after a couple miles.

I think it could be a craked head or blown gasket. If so, What could I pull some heads off for a rebuild? Would Tarus heads work? Anything else?
A compression test should help me locate a bad head, eh?

If anyone could help me out with some info on this issue, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
all ford OHV 3.0 heads are the same, no matter if they are in a FWD or RWD vehicle. the difference is in the head gaskets, you need to make sure you order head gaskets for a RWD and not a FWD, even if you use heads out of a taurus. and dont forget to get replacement head bolts (they are a one-use item).

a cracked head and a blown head gasket will show the exact same symptoms. its practically impossible to tell which your facing until you pull the heads off and inspect them.

it sounds like its a pretty serious leak, with lots of antifreeze in the oil. if you have been running the motor for any length of time like this, its very possible the antifreeze has ruined the bearings in the bottom end. you might want to pull the oil pan off while your at it and inspect them.

the 3.0's cooling system is notorious for for sludging up prematurely when it is not maintained properly, causing hot spots to form in the heads, leading to cracking. after you get the engine running again, make sure you prevent a second round by maintaining your cooling system.

PayDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. I did a compression test today, and the compression is good. Should that be an indication that the valves are good?
Also...When I pulled plug #6(Driver side rear), it was covered in oil. I'm thinking the problem is the driver side head gasket. Hopefully not a split head.
Does anyone know how much the gaskets are gonna cost me, if I do both sides?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
oil contamination is either a blown head gasket/cracked head, bad valve seals, or bad rings.

a head set will probably run you about $150 with bolts.

PayDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks man.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals