• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302, m5od-r2, 205 swap

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well my 2.3 blew the clutch, so im planning a 302, m5od-r2 and twin-stick 205 swap(just to say i have 3 shifters! haha) into my 87 reg cab short bed. does anyone have any experience or advice on the m5 or the 205? will it work with my factory hyd. clutch stuff? shifter placment, any problems with the shifter hitting the dash or seat? my truck is mainly going to be a dd seeing quite a bit of highway, and will get beaten fairly hard on the weekends. the 302 is a carbed 91 stang motor, and mostly stock, will get headers, intake and mabe a cam if i get the funds. any help would be greatly appreciated!

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
has anyone put a m5od-r2 in?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
96 plus 4.2 r2 has best shifter location

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
See if you can locate the EFI from the stang and run it, trust me :icon_thumby:
SVT

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the 4.2 is the same bellhousing?? could just the top cover be switched as i allready have have a trans from a 300ci truck.

also what about the master cyl? is it going to work the slave correctly?

another thing i was wondering was the clutch hose, mines a hard plastic line like most, but my friends 88 extended cab has a rubber hose the entire length. is this stock on some rangers or some kind of replacement?

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and RangerSVT, i do want to run efi at some point but my truck was factory carbed, and my motor didn't come with any intake, looking through my dads parts stash i found an old edelbrock intake and carb, and a duraspark dizzy. so being the cheep a** i am i'm just going to carb it for now. i'm hoping that the dizzy will just plug into my factory duraspark wiring so i wont have to really change anything. i know how to tune a carb so its not a big deal to me.

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
the 4.2 is the same bellhousing??
The 97+ 4.2L V6 bell bolt pattern is the same as 4.9/5.0/5.8. The difference is that the 4.2 bell is set up for metric bolts into the engine, so the holes are just slightly too small for the 7/16" bolts for the 5.0 to pass through. It only takes about a minute (literally) with a drill to correct that. The 2 alignment dowels are the same diameter so no worries there.

For the clutch/pressure plate, 96 5.0L F150 11" or equivalent.

Your 91 5.0 engine needs a 50 oz-in imbalance flywheel and the R2 needs a 164T ring gear - this combination was also used on the F150, 96 and several years earlier.

Get a manual truck starter. Most later automatic truck starters and many Mustang starters won't work with the R2. Again, the 96 5.0 150 manual or equivalent is a good source.

Use a block plate for a 302 with 164T flywheel. Some early Ford/Windsor cars or, need I say it, the safe bet is the 96 F150 manual part or whatever crosses to it.

also what about the master cyl? is it going to work the slave correctly?
If your current transmission has the dreaded internal slave cylinder, then chances are that the R2 is compatible with your master and line. Some of the eighties Rangers used an external slave with a larger bore master but I don't think those were in use as late as 87. You'll need to do some research.

could just the top cover be switched as i allready have have a trans from a 300ci truck.
I remember someone posting that it is possible to swap covers between early and late R2's but I don't know if it's true or not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals