• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351C Intake Manifolds

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone ever drove and could compare a 351C with 2V heads running a 4V intake/4 barrel carb to a 351C with 2V heads to the newer 2V intake/4 barrel carb? The reason I ask is there seems to be a mismatch on the 2, 3, 6, and 7 cylinders between the intake and the ports on the 2V heads with the 4V intake. Does anyone know how this effects performance? Would the newer intake that matches up all the runners and ports run better?

Summit has a 2V intake (4V carb) that I am considering. Anyone ever drove a 351C with this type of intake...

Weiand 7516 - Weiand X-CELerator Intake Manifolds - Overview - SummitRacing.com?

How does it compare to a 4V intake on 2V heads? Anyone?

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know for a fact the 4V intake fits and works fine on 2V heads. I have an old Hot Rod magazine article where they have done this. It's at my other house, but I can get it and scan it sometime.

That said, if I didn't already have the 4V manifold I would buy the 2V one because it would make me feel better.

snoopdoggie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9 2.9 4.0 4.0
Transmission
Manual
It will not cause any problem you'll see on the street. It will run a little better than 2V motor with a 2V carb but not as well as a 4V motor with a 4V carb. A lot of 2V motors had 4V intakes put on them way back when.

I have a 4V 4-Bolt Block, Crank, Rods, and Heads I don't need if you'd be interested.

Last edited:

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
It will not cause any problem you'll see on the street. It will run a little better than 2V motor with a 2V carb but not as well as a 4V motor with a 4V carb. A lot of 2V motors had 4V intakes put on them way back when.

I have a 4V 4-Bolt Block, Crank, Rods, and Heads I don't need if you'd be interested.
Are the heads closed chamber? What condition are these parts in? Any pics? Where are you located? How much? Thank you.

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
I know for a fact the 4V intake fits and works fine on 2V heads. I have an old Hot Rod magazine article where they have done this. It's at my other house, but I can get it and scan it sometime.

That said, if I didn't already have the 4V manifold I would buy the 2V one because it would make me feel better.
I would like to have those old Hot Rod magazine articles. :icon_thumby:

But, would it run any better with the heads and intake ports matched? :icon_confused:

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Friend of mine ran a built 4v iron head cleveland in my fastback before I bought it from him. That sucker was strong to now. I just found him his intake he wanted. A discontinued Holly street dominator 4v intake. They stopped making them in the 80's

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would like to have those old Hot Rod magazine articles. :icon_thumby:

But, would it run any better with the heads and intake ports matched? :icon_confused:
I doubt you would notice, but since there are 2v manifolds available, why bother thinking about it. In the past, that was the only way to put a 4V on a 2V engine.

I hope to get over to the other house tomorrow. I hope I remember to grab that book. Sucks moving when you have as much stuff as I have. Hard to believe I lived half my life out of a couple seabags and now I can fill a couple container boxes.

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
I doubt you would notice, but since there are 2v manifolds available, why bother thinking about it. In the past, that was the only way to put a 4V on a 2V engine.

I hope to get over to the other house tomorrow. I hope I remember to grab that book. Sucks moving when you have as much stuff as I have. Hard to believe I lived half my life out of a couple seabags and now I can fill a couple container boxes.
Good question. When I bought my 351C's, one of them had a F351 4V Edlebrock low-rise, dual-plane intake. I am running this intake now on 2V heads, but the mismatch between the ports and the runners made me wonder how it would compare to one of the newer 2V 4bbl intakes.

Thanks. I hope you're able to locate that article. :icon_thumby:

snoopdoggie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9 2.9 4.0 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Are the heads closed chamber? What condition are these parts in? Any pics? Where are you located? How much? Thank you.
Not sure about the heads. It has been a while since I looked at them. Parts look okay. Block appears to have had some machine work done on it. They were part of a purchase of multiple parts. Not anything I had used. I'm in North Carolina. Send email for pics.

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure about the heads. It has been a while since I looked at them. Parts look okay. Block appears to have had some machine work done on it. They were part of a purchase of multiple parts. Not anything I had used. I'm in North Carolina. Send email for pics.

My email is...

CKIMMEL@MCHSI.COM

Thanks.

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A tunnel ram solves all problems.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A tunnel ram solves all problems.
All the problems except the problem of having a huge mass of air to accelerate into the combustion chambers when you stomp on the gas. When I was a kid (early 20s) you could get a kit with a tunnel ram and a pair of 465 Holleys and a lot of guys did that. And it was bad. 2.73 gears and a cam that was all done at 4000rpm don't work well with a motor meant to run continously at 6000rpm in front of a jet pump.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I did. But there's too much to scan. Look up ISBN 1855201054 on Amazon.
Looks very interesting! Thank you!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals