• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 engine vibration.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
okay, lot of crap on my brothers truck in the past week.

tuesday his truck started vibrating horribly and smelled terrible. his catalytic converters were clogged so we have them cut off as a *temporary* solution we have new ones ordered.

now it was miss firing we changed out the coil pack and wires no more miss firing (the spark plugs were a year old). but now it vibrates when idling and when maintaining speed not accelerating just enough gas to stay up to speed.. it has always idled at about 1100 rpm. any idea what could be causing this problem we havent run a diagnostic on it yet which i know, cant help you guys much, we bought a code reader and it is en-route.

any thing else we could try? we have heard it maybe the IAC valve or the MAF not sure how to clean either. our next step after that would be to replace the fuel injectors. but we dont want to have to do that mainly because we dont know how. but im sure we could do it.

any ideas guys?

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
How were the converts clogged? Was it a melt down internally from raw full dumping into the exhaust? Liek when you looked into th econverters was it a honeycomb inside or a black sooty mess? Or was it a big melted chunk?

Pull codes on the OBD before you try to speculate what the issue may be. Some systems are able to connect to the system and read live data which can tell alot about what is going on with the engine real time and make diagnosing issues alot easier.

Pull the engine oil dipstick and smeel the oil se eif it smells like fuel.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
We did not have a chance to look at them because we did not cut them off. The oil doesn't smell like gas. Also there is no noise associated with this problem just this vibration. The code Reade should be here tomorrow.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
okay so we got a code read on the thing, it says a miss fire in cylinder 4 a [P0304] code *and* cylinder 6. [P0306] so theres the source of vibration. but we also got a [P0420] code that says catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1) and a [P0102] mass or volume air flow circuit low input code. and last but not least a [P0171] system too lean (bank 1) code.

so summary of
[P0304]
[P0306]
[P0420]
[P0102]
[P0171]

so can anyone tell me whats going on? it seems that he's not getting enough air and the system is running lean. does that mean a clogged injector or something?

thanks
baker

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Change the plugs. I wouldn't go any further without putting brand new plugs in it. You need to rule that out first, no matter how old (or young) they are.

You've changed the coil pack and wires. Those plugs might fouled out, cracked, etc.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Change the plugs. I wouldn't go any further without putting brand new plugs in it. You need to rule that out first, no matter how old (or young) they are.

You've changed the coil pack and wires. Those plugs might fouled out, cracked, etc.
haha nice to see you here.

and we'll try that. can i take the plugs out and turn the truck on and see if they spark? i think ive heard thats how you check them... i could be completely wrong.

any ideas on the air situation and the lean?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The plugs have to be in contact with the engine block or the body of the truck or they won't spark anyway.

Based on your codes I would start with 6 plugs, one MAF, and a can of seafoam into the intake BEFORE the new cats are put in.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You can certainly try cleaning the MAF. I personally use a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol, and have never had any issues with the method. Some people frown at that method. You just need the right torx bit for the job. You can also buy a can of MAF cleaner from Autozone.

We found a leaky vacuum hose off the DPFE sensor on my buddies Explorer that caused a lean condition.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
okay thanks for the input, we shall try to clean the maf and check for vac leaks. we switched the number 4 spark plug to the 5 cylinder to see if we get a diff code. i doubt it but we cant get to a parts store atm. low funds damn money pit.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
okay thanks for the input, we shall try to clean the maf and check for vac leaks. we switched the number 4 spark plug to the 5 cylinder to see if we get a diff code. i doubt it but we cant get to a parts store atm. low funds damn money pit.
I forget, are 4 and 5 the same coil in the pack? For some reason I'm thinking it is 3 and 4 you should be swapping.

EDIT: Yes, 3 and 4 are the same coil rather than 5 and 4.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I forget, are 4 and 5 the same coil in the pack? For some reason I'm thinking it is 3 and 4 you should be swapping.

EDIT: Yes, 3 and 4 are the same coil rather than 5 and 4.

what do you mean? im not familiar with anything engine related. i have the basic understanding but thats it.

what do you mean by same coil? same pair? also we just moved the spark plug from four to five then connected the correct wire to that cylinder what are you suggesting?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Oh, you swapped the entire wire then.

The coil pack has 3 coils in it, not 6. So cylinders 1 & 5, 6 & 2, and then 3 & 4 share a coil. Sometimes people swap the two in a pair to see if the misfire moves.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, you swapped the entire wire then.

The coil pack has 3 coils in it, not 6. So cylinders 1 & 5, 6 & 2, and then 3 & 4 share a coil. Sometimes people swap the two in a pair to see if the misfire moves.
okay thank you for that explanation, ever since we moved the faulty spark plug from cyl 4 to 5 the cylinder four misfire has gone away and only getting a cyl 6 misfire code now. wtf? all the lean codes have gone. and it doesnt vibrate as much now. maybe it is a bad plug we'll stop and get one after work. motorcraft have a warranty?

and we reset the engine light and only getting a 6cyl misfire, aswell as the faulty cats

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
well we got it all sorted out, misfire on 6 faulty plug thanks for your help. owning a code reader is the best thing imaginable

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
That's great! I'm glad it was simple.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals