• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 from 2001 into 98 3.slow, a few ?'s

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey all.
Been a while since I've been here. Here's the situation. My trusty 98 w/ 3.0 5spd is getting tired, I'm looking at a 01 w/ 4.0 auto, the owner says it has a bent frame ( tangled with a tree) if its not fixable would mating the 4.0 to my 5speed need any big deal? I'm thinking there could be some potential wiring/ computer issues. Anyone with experience in this situation?
I haven't seen the rig yet, best case scenario is that I can fix it and run it as is, après toy he is still driving it so it must not be too bad.
Thanks.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
The bellhousing is different. You'd need a manual transmission from a 4.0 (or late 2.9) vehicle. I haven't a clue on the wiring with that new a model.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fix the bent frame or pass on it.

Swapping an older 4.0l OHV would be easier BUT you would only gain 10-12 horse power, about 8%.

On the 2001 4.0l SOHC(extra 59 horse power over 3.0l, 35% increase) you will need the computer and that means the PATS as well, not a big deal just more work swapping out the steering column or most of it.
Actually you may need a different computer, one for a manual trans, but it would still have the PATS, so you would need that either way.
So donor truck would be good for engine and harness but you would still need to buy another computer with PATS gear.

Rebuilding the 3.0l might be a better way to spend the time and money

Or just do a V8 conversion, even more horsepower and can be less time and money depending on what you want.

Last edited:

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just picked up the 01. She's pretty beat ? I think I'm just gonna use parts for my 98. I only gave $600 for it, so it's got plenty of use for that price.

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I've looked the rig over I guess it's not all that bad. It has a dent in the front frame cross member, broken power steering rack. It's in need of new upper control arm & ball joint. I need to do rust repair on the back of the frame, but I found on eBay a person that sells already fabed parts for ranger frame repair. I was already going to make one bed out of the two. So the plan is to fix this rig up for myself, fix up my 98 ( also, ball joints and frame repair), slap a flat bed on it, fresh inspection sticker and then sell it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals