• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 sohc feels low on power

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
How old are your O2 sensors and have you looked at your MAF sensor? O2 sensors wear out over time and if they are the OGs, they are due for a change (mine are due as well). If the Mass Air Flow sensor is dirty, it will effect fuel trims as well.

As mentioned above, the winter fuel will cause a drop in mpg and the longer time it takes to warm up to operating temperature will do the same. Up until the engine reaches a certain temperature, the fuel trim will be running rich to speed up the warm up time.

Check your tires too. Every 10 degrees of temperature change equals 1 psi of tire pressure change, plus tires lose air pressure over time anyway. Even new tires on new rims.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
How old are your O2 sensors and have you looked at your MAF sensor? O2 sensors wear out over time and if they are the OGs, they are due for a change (mine are due as well). If the Mass Air Flow sensor is dirty, it will effect fuel trims as well.

As mentioned above, the winter fuel will cause a drop in mpg and the longer time it takes to warm up to operating temperature will do the same. Up until the engine reaches a certain temperature, the fuel trim will be running rich to speed up the warm up time.

Check your tires too. Every 10 degrees of temperature change equals 1 psi of tire pressure change, plus tires lose air pressure over time anyway. Even new tires on new rims.
I’m not sure if they have been changed. I was looking through service records I got from the previous( 1st) owners and didn’t see anything. I’m planning on checking the o2 sensors and Maf sensor. One question though, by o2 sensors you mean the ones before and after the catalytic converters or the intake ones?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I’m not sure if they have been changed. I was looking through service records I got from the previous( 1st) owners and didn’t see anything. I’m planning on checking the o2 sensors and Maf sensor. One question though, by o2 sensors you mean the ones before and after the catalytic converters or the intake ones?
There are no O2's on the intake. Just 1 infront and behind the cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Ok, so all exhaust ones?
Any other intake sensors other than MAF I should check out?
Also, should I check out the injectors?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The one before the cats are more important than the ones after but all play a role. If money is an issue, do the front ones first but don't ignore the back ones.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
The one before the cats are more important than the ones after but all play a role. If money is an issue, do the front ones first but don't ignore the back ones.
Ok. Can I clean them or is it much better just to replace them

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Ok, so all exhaust ones?
Any other intake sensors other than MAF I should check out?
Also, should I check out the injectors?
Yes all on the exhaust

I wouldnt replace sensors (besides the O2's) unless a check engine is on.

Part quality has been total shit lately

With the injectors i wouldnt look to hard unless its missing

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ok. Can I clean them or is it much better just to replace them
There is a "chemical charge" in the O2 sensors that wears out over time. There is no way to clean them and recharge that. Replacement is the only solution.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Yes all on the exhaust

I wouldnt replace sensors (besides the O2's) unless a check engine is on.

Part quality has been total shit lately

With the injectors i wouldnt look to hard unless its missing
Ok. Just wondering about injectors because I thought: gummed up injector—-> squirt less gas—-> less power. ( my exact thought process by the way lol)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ok. Just wondering about injectors because I thought: gummed up injector—-> squirt less gas—-> less power. ( my exact thought process by the way lol)
If in doubt, get a bottle of fuel system cleaner and dump a bottle in the fuel tank before you fill it up. Run the truck until it's darn near empty for best effect. I prefer Cheveron Techron but everyone that uses these cleaners has their preference. Gumout makes a cleaner as does Seafoam. Which ever you go with, the general procedure is the same. Dump it in before filling. Fill the tank to get it mixed well. Drive it until damn near empty or the fuel light comes on if you have a light and it works.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thats solid thinking...but less fuel also equals less "POW!" which will usually create a missfire.

It might not be a bad idea to check fuel pressure...you might have a plugged filter or a dying pump. But to create your problem i would think all 6 injectors would have to be screwed at once

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Thats solid thinking...but less fuel also equals less "POW!" which will usually create a missfire.

It might not be a bad idea to check fuel pressure...you might have a plugged filter or a dying pump. But to create your problem i would think all 6 injectors would have to be screwed at once
That’s true. I would imagine The chances of all 6 injectors going out at once are pretty slim, unless they were designed with some sort of kill device lol (probably not though)
I just put half a bottle of cleaner in half a tank. I would have waited but i have absolutely no patience and I bought it so I figured why not. I bet just driving it will mix it in well enough. No dash lights going off. Maybe I’ll check the filter if it’s not super difficult to get at.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
That’s true. I would imagine The chances of all 6 injectors going out at once are pretty slim, unless they were designed with some sort of kill device lol (probably not though)
I just put half a bottle of cleaner in half a tank. I would have waited but i have absolutely no patience and I bought it so I figured why not. I bet just driving it will mix it in well enough. No dash lights going off. Maybe I’ll check the filter if it’s not super difficult to get at.
Best thing to do is buy/rent a fuel pressure gauge.

Dump the whole bottle in :)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Best thing to do is buy/rent a fuel pressure gauge.

Dump the whole bottle in :)
I put the whole bottle in right after I said that lol. I noticed while I was driving it that it would rev freely up to about 3k then suddenly stop pulling. This makes me think that it isn’t getting the fuel and air it needs. Any thoughts

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals