• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 upper intake removal Q

Brandon Nootenboom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I just had a quick question about removing the upper intake, got everything pulled off except for what I believe is the blowby pipe off the valve cover, I just wanted to make sure that what I'm wrenching on is the right thing I should be going after.

http://s1052.photobucket.com/albums/s450/Brandon_Nootenboom/?action=view&current=Photo134.jpg

neither of the two bolts under the valve won't budge even with a wrench on the back side nut which is why I'm wondering. That is the last thing holding the upper intake on. Thanks for the help!

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yea that's the EGR valve. Those bolts should come out of there. If they dont, try to unbol the whole pipe from the EGR valve. There's a metallic gasket behind that. Probably should replace it.

Brandon Nootenboom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
The gasket is between the pipe and EGR? I'll try soaking the bolts with Pb Blaster to get 'em loose. Thanks!

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
For the removal of the upper and lower intake/ valve covers you do not need to remove the egr. If your egr is like mine on my 97, that is a rusted mess, and unless the egr is completely failing, I would not touch it.

to remove the upper intake, all you need to do after you unhook all of the hoses and remove the six 13 mm nuts is to lift it straight up as you can. you will have to wrestle with it a bit, but it can be done.

see my write up on how to do it: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1182302#post1182302

Hope this helps!

AJ

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
take a little propane torch and warm up the nuts should come right out. if not you can get the intake off by wiggling it and movie it sideways on that tube.. you will see how it comes out .. the tip of it is like a hook shape.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals