• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L. flwmstr or mgnflw

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
NO they dont sound ricey like on the vids..That jsut cause the volume gets F'D with when they rev up...My magna has a nice Hmm at idle, i bet it would sound cat daddys ass if it was a straight drive though...I just bought my muffler off ebay had a shop weld an angle pipe and put a dual tip on it...Cost like $135 all together...

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
ya i have a 94 b3000 and just today i put my magnaflow muffler on all it was, was just the muffler, i was worried about the ricer sound but oh man in NO was it anywhere near a ricer sound at idle my truck has a nice deep sound but even my truck stock at high rpms it has a wineding sound but once the muffler warms up it has a nice deep sound all through the rpm range i would go with magnaflow and if u get the stainless steel one it looks nice under the truck.

-spilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L. V-6
Transmission
Manual
k, thnx again. im so glad it doesnt sound riced, im gonna be getting one real soon :icon_thumby:

Snurfer

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
go with the the 40 series. you wont be dissappointed. 2.5 in 2.5 out will sound amazing.

ive got 2.5 in and dual 2.5 out dumped in front of the rear right tire and i love it. it sounds clean and deep. at idle it sounds great. nothing like a ricer.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thnx guys, i heard a rumer that the flowmaster ruduces torque, this true, and if i whent with flows, which series should i go with.. the 40, super 40?

Any high flow muffler that you put on will take some out of the bottom end, but you will gain it back at the higher end. This difference will probably not be noticeable. I would put on a flowmaster 40 series. It should be nice and deep and throaty.

MountainRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have got the flowmaster 40 and i really like how it sounds "hi flow cats" 2.5 in dual 2.5 straight out rear
sounds almost like a v8 at idle

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
my b3000 with a magnaflow sounds like a v8 at idle an has a really nice deep sound all through the rpm range. its the SI 2.5 in SI 2.5 out an dumped before the back wheel.

my 4 L ranger project will definatly be getting magnaflows put on her.

Last edited:

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
I like the Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flow, or the Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow mufflers because they aren't quite as annoyingly loud as the Original 40 series. The Flowmaster 40 series and the Flowmaster 50 series mufflers both use the Delta Flow technology, This technology enables the mufflers to produce a powerful aggressive sound outside of the truck, yet at the same time, they lower the amount of sound in the interior of the truck. This makes these mufflers a great choice for drivers that drive on the freeway every day. Believe me, at highway speeds, The Flowmaster Original 40 series muffler can get awfully annoying and cause headaches. I used to have an Original 40 series on my truck, now I've switched to the 40 series Delta Flow muffler, and I love it. Its loud on the outside and sounds deep and aggressive, yet there is little interior noise. Of course the Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flow produces a more aggressive sound than the Flowmaster 50 series does, But thats because the 40 series Delta Flow has only 2 chambers just like the Original 40 series. The 50 series Delta Flow has 3 chambers, which produces a little bit of a milder sound than the 40 series Delta Flow, but it still sounds really good. Check out all the different Flowmaster mufflers, they all have a purpose, you just have to find one that fits your needs. Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust systems sound really good, there aren't as loud as the Flowmasters, but they still produce a good sound. They kind of produce a sound that is aggressive, and mild at the same time. Good Luck with your choices.

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
O yea, and if you can, take off the stock 2 inch diameter exhaust pipe all the way up to the end of the Catalytic Converter, and put on some mandrel bent 2.5 inch diameter pipe. Trust me, its a monster difference from the stock pipes. The 2.5 inch diameter pipes makes the exhaust sound even deeper and meaner, and will increase the flow of the exhaust system in general. The mandrel bends also increase the overall flow of the exhaust system as well.

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So how loud is the 40 delta flow? I got one neighbor who has Z71 and a Z28 both with exhausts that are way to loud and annoys the hell out of everyone. I dont want to be like that guy but I still want it to sound good and be a bit louder than stock.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have the same truck, same engine as the OP. I've had 6, yes 6 differnet aftermarket mufflers on it trying to find the right one for me.

I've had a dynomax ultra flow oval, magnaflow, cherrybomb glasspack, flowmaster super40, flowmaster original 40, and finally flowmaster super44.

The deepest, most powerful sounding, and the right loudness i was looking for, was the Super44. My setup has always been 2.5 from just behind the last cat, to a 3bolt 2.5" flange, to a 2.5" pipe going into hte muffler, the muffler, then dumped via turndown or nothing, just muffler. The dynomax and the super40 had a tailpipe and the super40 won that battle and sounded really really good when following it or hearing it drive by.

Super40 or Super44....the Super44, hands down. Wins.

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yea Definata definitly go with a chambered muffler like a Flowmaster, there good mufflers. I know the Magnaflow's sound pretty good too, but I like the Flowmaster's. If you want the absolute loudest sound possible, go with the Original 40 series mufflers, but My all time favorite muffler for a vehicle with a V6 engine is the Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flow. There arent quite as loud as the Original 40 series, but they produce that awsome deep throaty sound outside of the truck, but at the same time, Flowmaster's Delta Flow Technology reduces the amount of resonation in the cab. This is (In My Opinion) the best daily driving muffler money can buy. Definetly check these out, I kinda had doubts at first, but when I bought one, I rated it the best 100 bucks I've ever spent.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea Definata definitly go with a chambered muffler like a Flowmaster, there good mufflers. I know the Magnaflow's sound pretty good too, but I like the Flowmaster's. If you want the absolute loudest sound possible, go with the Original 40 series mufflers, but My all time favorite muffler for a vehicle with a V6 engine is the Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flow. There arent quite as loud as the Original 40 series, but they produce that awsome deep throaty sound outside of the truck, but at the same time, Flowmaster's Delta Flow Technology reduces the amount of resonation in the cab. This is (In My Opinion) the best daily driving muffler money can buy. Definetly check these out, I kinda had doubts at first, but when I bought one, I rated it the best 100 bucks I've ever spent.

OP's truck is a 01 4.0 SOHC. So is mine. The Original sounded 'okay' in the loudness department...but it's nothing compared to a Super44.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals