• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0l fuel mileage

OLD YELLOW RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hey every one i got a question on a truck ok its a 01 ford ranger edge its got a 4.0l out of a 04 ranger the gas mileage isnt all that great was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what i can do 2 get more miles per gallon? thanx everyone

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Plugs, wires, coil pack, filters, air up the tires, run different tires, air filter, loose the spare, new O2 sensors, seafoam in the intake, Lucas in the fuel tank, clean the MAF. Take your pick. Any or all.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
driving habbit.

if i drive like i normally do, i usually see around 16-17 mpg out of my 06 4.0.

if i drive like im trying to save gas, i can squeeze out 22 mpg.

agrooms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Damn - I get 14.3 MPG

My 1990 Ranger (2.3L 5 speed 4X4 XLT) was T-boned by an unemployed and uninsured 19 year old on Christmas eve. So I found a VERY well cared for 1999 Ranger Supercab 4X4 flairside XLT with the off road package. Had the truck inspected by a trusted mechanic before I purchased, because it had a rough idle at start up. He replaced an intake gasket (don't remember the exact part -sorry). He said it was a common issue of the 4.0L engines. Now it starts and runs smooth. However after 3 tanks of gas I am only averaging 14.35 MPG. I drive 40 miles round trip to work each day with 95% of it being highway (58 mph with cruise set). I have even been driving like a "little old lady" in order to try and squeeze a few more MPG's out of it. I have done a LOT of reading and searching for a solution.

Before the bashers start, I know it's a truck and a 4.0L and no I don't want a smart car or motorcyle. I just expected to get closer to 18 MPG. The truck performance seems fine not sluggish or rough. The mechanic said it looks like it has had new plugs and wires recently.

After researching I thought maybe a dirty MAF sensor or plugged CAT but those say you will have performance issues associated as well and it seems like the truck runs fine. If I put my foot in it, it will repspond and get up to speed nicely (no dogging).

I am open to ideas. I am not looking for 25 MPG but 18 to 20 would be nice.

Thanks - Allen

Automobilie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0L w/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Mine's a 2wd, automagic 4.0L. highway I usualyl get anywhere from 23-25, but in town it drops to 14-18.

8cylRWD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
A little late seeing your post. A 4.0 isn't known for it's fuel efficiency. Not sure why, but they do like their gas. I drive conservatively to see what I can get out of my 4.0 4x4 auto. 50/50 in town and highway yields about 16-17 winter and 18-20 summer. In town normal driving 14 winter to 16 summer, highway (depending on wind) 65-70 mph 19-20 winter 20-21 summer.

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
91 Explorer with a worn out 4.0 4x4 5 speed Stock with 31x10.5 Maxis BigHorns. I get 20+ MPG on the highway. I can't check city millage as my odometer is broke so I can only figure millage when I travel.

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Are you running the highway with the tail gate up? if so dro pthe tailgate or remove it for a tank of gas. Look at the difference in your milage.

8cylRWD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Good idea, truck has a cap. Thanks anyway

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Keep it under 3000 RPM especially if it is a manual. These 4.0's have great low end torque which will get the vehicle going with no problems granted a tad slow but it will get there. I seldom get over 3 grand and I bet my city milage is almost as good as my hwy millage. And since I park my dump truck at home I don't have to drive to work so a tank of gas can last me 2 months.:yahoo:

Finally remember, you burn more gas touching your brake than you do using your accelerator. Keep this in mind as that red litgh a mile ahead changes color try and time it so you dont have to stop. I find that many times I pass that ass who was right on everyone tail while he is sitting at the light getting back up to speed as often as he actuially gets a full light ahead of me. Yes he will get to the next light first but he will have to stop at it so not only did he burn mor fuel getting there faster he will also have to acelerate from 0 to 35 where perhaps you just putted along at 45-40 mph and never went a bit slower or had to stop.

Last edited:

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Are you running the highway with the tail gate up? if so dro pthe tailgate or remove it for a tank of gas. Look at the difference in your milage.

Lowering the tailgate on modern trucks to save gas is a myth. Modern trucks are air tunnel tested with the tailgate up. Lowering the tailgate means it is now sticking out, causes downforce and can reduce your gas mileage.

You can remove the tailgate all together but prob wont see a difference.

Best option would be a tonneau cover, but not sure you would see much of a difference with that either, especially if it is a hard cover (added weight)

Last edited:

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 99 4.0L 5 speed automatic in a 4wd supercab. I have 17" mustang wheels with 235/65R17 street tires. Head gaskets done a year ago so new plugs and everything associated with a head gasket job. Also have a hard tonneau cover which prob does make a difference. I don't carry any additional weight like sand bags, etc.

I get 13-15 mpg in mixed driving. Over the last 2 months I have been working a project that has my drive as 95% highway with no traffic. I drive anywhere from 70-80 mph, generally in the 2500 rpm range (sometimes 3000 rpm if passing or merging) and only have been able to get, at best, 17 mpg (even when I tried to drive slower for one tank of gas). Not sure how some of you are getting 20 mpg or higher.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"A pint is a pound the world around", that's for water weight :)
8 pints in a gallon
Gas weights a bit less that water, but still close to 8lbs per gallon.
10 gallons is 80lbs
15 gallons 120lbs

So a full tank of gas is like carrying around a hitch hiker, lol.
Let the fuel trucks carry gas across town for you, get just what you need.
Or don't complain about the MPG, lol.

Since you can't reduce engine size, reducing the weight is about all you can do.
Making the engine run at it's most efficient is assumed already done.
Thinner tires with full air reduces rolling resistance.

Always drive downhill and with the wind, you may not get where you want to go but where ever you do end up you will have gotten there with the best MPG :)

Yes the tailgate thing is a myth.

My '94 supercab with 4.0l canopy and hundreds of lbs of tools in the back, still gets me around at about 14mpg mixed, when empty I flirt with 18mpg mostly highway

Last edited:

YooperSteeze

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1994/1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0/4.0/4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Tired old 4.0 (296k) A4LD, 94 Explorer. 10 in town, thats loaded with people or parts or empty. Didn't even change with my roof box. 15 highway. 5 in 4wd, which gets used a lot here in the UP. So don't complain about 14 average hahah.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Rear end ratios, tire sizes, and 4x4 or non must make a huge difference.

With my '94, 4.0, 5 spd 2wd/3.08 axle ratio, I get between 26, 27, to a max of 28.2 MPG (Imperial) on the highway, depending on conditions. Have not been able to hit 30mpg no matter what I have tried. Sparkplugs, air pressure in the tires, drop the tailgate, synthetic oil, new wheel bearings, clean airfilter, rear drum brakes checked to be sure they aren't dragging, etc.

I set the cruise at exactly 100 KM/hr (62.5 mph) and leave it there. It's relatively flat in this part of Alberta, so no big climbs.

subtract 20% from those figures for US mileage.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals