• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0l & Np435 & 1356

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I destroyed reverse in the BroncoStar again and I'm tired of fixing it so it's been siting for a while and I'm thinking a 435 and 1356 would be a permanent fix and the gearing would actually be better than the C5 and 1350 doubler I now have. I doubt a 5.0L is going to fit so my options are a 3.8L V6 or building an adapter. I thought maybe I could use a 4.0L clutch in a TK4 bell and adapt that to the NP435 or adapt the engine to a 435 Bell. Any idea's? RB

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
If I remember correctly there were a few floating around on Pirate with NP435s on 2.9s and 4.0s.

matt

OldRedB2_84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just curious, what broke in the c5? My c5 lost reverse too.

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just curious, what broke in the c5? My c5 lost reverse too.
It still works on flat ground when cold. So I won't ever really know. I'm thinking I'll just sell the whole setup. C5 and doubler. That should cover my cost's of changing over to the 435/1356

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've found a couple adapters for around $500 but I'm thinking I could use the 4.0L clutch setup with a different disk and pilot bearing that would work with the 435 and then use my TK4 bell housing and build an adapter to bolt that to the 435. I've got to get over to my buddies house and measure a 435 housing to see if they are the same or different lengths. I'm hoping the tk is shorter than the 435. RB

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
How much you asking for the reduction box/shaft??
SVT

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How much you asking for the reduction box/shaft??
SVT
I need to make sure my 435 Idea will work before I sell the stuff off. I'm in the middle of pulling the engine out of my Mustang this week so it's going to be another week or so before I can even start on the van. Looking at the TK bell I think I can just turn the center hole out to fit over the NP's front shaft and then drill and tap 4 new bolt holes in the front of the case and then thread seal the bolts. Anyone ever drilled and taped a case before? RB

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I got a 435 bell housing and set it on the bench next to my TK4 bell housing and to my disappointment the TK is longer by over an inch. I originally thought I could just bolt the TK housing to the 435.
Here is my thinking. I could build a 1/4 inch plate to bolt the 435 bell to the 4.0L. Use the stock 4.0L flywheel and pressure plate but use a 10" Early Bronco clutch in place of the 10" stock clutch. The rbv clutch is a fine spline where the 435 is a course spline. The starter could be bolted to the 1/4" plate and then go to a pull style slave cylinder. Here is where it gets tricky. The 4.0L flywheel is offset where as the SB Ford flywheel is flat. This makes the pilot bearing shaft longer on a RBV tranny than on a SB Ford trans. Not only is the shaft longer it is smaller. So I need to make the input shaft's pilot bearing area an inch longer and a little smaller or make the pilot bearing bigger and stick it out of the flywheel an inch farther. Any thoughts on this? RB

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
I think its time for a trip to the parts store to pick through pilot bearings and find one that fits..

Another option is to get you hands on a pilot bearing intended for a 435, go to the hardware store and find a piece of pipe that is the EXACT same diameter as the outside of the pilot bearing. once you find a piece of pile get a steel rod that is the EXACT same OD as the pilot bearing. with the rod going through the flywheel and through the pipe weld the pipe right to the flywheel. It would suck if it did not work but be a easy fix if it does.

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I think its time for a trip to the parts store to pick through pilot bearings and find one that fits..

Another option is to get you hands on a pilot bearing intended for a 435, go to the hardware store and find a piece of pipe that is the EXACT same diameter as the outside of the pilot bearing. once you find a piece of pile get a steel rod that is the EXACT same OD as the pilot bearing. with the rod going through the flywheel and through the pipe weld the pipe right to the flywheel. It would suck if it did not work but be a easy fix if it does.

I thought I might also be able to bolt a pilot bearing retainer to the back side of the flywheel using the flywheel bolts too. I need to do like you said and dig for parts. RB

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'll have my adaptor plate prototype tomorrow. I'm having a custom pilot bearing made out of brass. My 1966 Bronco 10" clutch disc will be in tomorrow also. So hopefully i'll know if this will all go together this week. RB

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've got the first prototype adapter.

It needs some fine tuning yet.

My 1966 Bronco clutch disc is out of stock so i ordered a 78 Mustang disc and it will be in tomorrow.

I ordered my custom pilot bearing today also.

I'm thinking my Y pipe is going to need to be re-bent. There are more pic's of the prototype on my webshots page. RB

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You need to patent this and sell it as a kit. Seriously. If I didn't have a 302 already I would buy this and set up a NP435 with my 2.9.

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You need to patent this and sell it as a kit. Seriously. If I didn't have a 302 already I would buy this and set up a NP435 with my 2.9.
What would you pay for it? RB

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals