• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L OHV Question

bigdan002001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I just bought a used 4.0OHV out of a 97 explorer for my 97 ranger. First off what is the big electircal plug on the passengers front side of the engine block for? My ranger doesn't have this plug...it is where the first bank soft plug is located. Will it hurt anything if left unplugged? Secondly, my truck has a manual transmission, but the new motor had an automatic...I know I have to change out the flywheel, but the question is, the wiring harness is still all attached to the motor and the main rectangular plug in is all there too....can I just use that plug in to plug into my factory pcm that is in the truck? Or will it have the wrong number of prongs since it's an automatic? Should I swap out the entire harness with my factory one or can I just leave it alone....

Thanks,
Dan

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Other engine convversions

If you haven't done it go to that link in engine conversions with a little research I'm sure you"ll find an answer.GOOD LUCK!:icon_welder:

bigdan002001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That's nice and all but I have read every one of the tech pages on this site and many others and this info is not there. Also, this is not a conversion at all...same motor....same year....just from explorer to ranger....cause I know for one the motor mount plates are different, and I found a link for the plug on the side of the block...it is a factory installed engine block heater. Just wondered if pin numbers were different between manual and auto engines and if I have manual then would it matter if there were some extra pins which just wouldn't be used in a manual....the harnesses and plug in "look" identical.....and I couldn't find anywhere about harnesses on a direct replacement and not a conversion.....the only thing I really haven't looked closely at yet was the transmission plug in on the back. My manual trans had a plug in back there too, but that might be different...but could just be for transfer case too, since it has electric shift 4x4. I am also retaining my stock manual transmission pcm.....

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals