• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L stroker

Monty35

Reaction score
I remember reading a thread on a different forum where a guy built up a 4.0 motor with a stroke kit, had a video of it running on straight pipes too. Anyone happen to know where I can find that?:dunno:

86_cookiemonster

November '08 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
Reallyhe built a 4.0 stroker and had a vid of it. wow, Well there is a stroker kit offered by tom Morana. There are a lot of threads on here about it, the general consensus is that it would not be worth it. Mainly as no one, at least to my knowledge, on this site has ever really seen one, or built one. I know there are a lot of guys here, myself included, who would be interested in seeing the link to that forum where you saw the guy who built one.

Doug904

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That's a good post but no stroker, and if anyone thinks its a " Custom Build" then what I have must be an exotic because I have everything he's tried to do as well as higher compression, and nitrous, and just installed a Vortech.

The moral to that post though is that he used stock castings to have his port work done in an effort to try and save money. As shown, this never turns out good. Spend the extra $200 for new aftermarket castings and you'll be much further in your efforts..

Maybe I need to post my runs online, well nm, they are already on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3DKohfjCU4

And that Blue Ranger in the video is faster then I am and has more then me too, just not for long ;)

bergz0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
leveling kit
Tire Size
31x10.50x15
the kit is like 2500-3000 dollars

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
theres no reason to stroke a 4.0

bergz0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
leveling kit
Tire Size
31x10.50x15
i agree. its a waste of money

krazyk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
theres no reason not to stroke a 4.0 if you really want to do it. 4 out of 5 people would say its a waste of money just to lift/lower a vehicle

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
a 4.0 is already known as a torque motor this is whjy its pointless to stroke the motor

krazyk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
again, if you have the money and want to do it.... its a reliable increase in power and torque and doesn't require finding a ton of new parts at the junkyard or wherever

Giant squid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Waste of time. Heads cant handle the amount of air the bottem end wants to pump, So why would you add more displacement. Ported aftermarket heads cant keep up to stocks bottem end that well either, Hence the reason they allways fail......... (my opinion, not fact)

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Waste of time. Heads cant handle the amount of air the bottem end wants to pump, So why would you add more displacement. Ported aftermarket heads cant keep up to stock that well either, Hence the reason they allways fail......... (my opinion, not fact)
uh, what?

so your trying to tell me a 4.3 stroker will perform the same as a stock 4.0? please. your increasing stroke, thus your increasing cylinder fill. yes a good port and polish will HELP, but its not necissary (nor is it the largest restriction on this particular motor).

and how would restricive heads cause any sort of engine or head failure? :no2:

i agree there are cheaper ways to get more power from your truck...but if youve got money to spend and want something unique, a 4.3 stroker would be awsome...especially if you boost it :3gears:

Giant squid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If you want an unrelieable peice of shit then sure boost a 4.0L, Head gaskets usually out last the heads, Think about it. The 4.0 has a cylinder bore and stroke that is just as big as your typical 350/351, The heads on these engines make our little rangers look like a small scared school girl. The casts are too thin in material, and have been pressed in too small of an area. The stresses this engine is able to apply is simply too much for its top end allways resulting in a premature rebuild of the valvetrain, or simply a cracked head itself.
I agree that displacement is power, but dont stroke an engine thats allready maxed out, that block started out as a 2.9L remember. Ford allready bored and stroked it for you.

But if you have time and money and you want power. Theres nothing better then a v-8

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the valvetrane wears on these motors due to improper top end lubracation, it has nothing to do with the castings...and for that matter, how would any "stresses" inside the engine cause valvetrane failure? furthermore, of all the boost-related failures ive seen, i dont think ive ever seen a cracked head.

if the 4.0 head is such a brittle thing, you might want to warn the several guys on here that have boosted 4.0 daily drivers. heck ive "heard" of 2.9's taking 20 PSI before venting a piston.

the weak part on most any factory N/A engine is usually the head gaskets, followed by pistons, especially if you dont know how to tune an engine. head studs and a quality head gasket will usually take care of the head gasket problem, and since the morana kit comes with all forged internals, you'd be ready for all the boost you could throw at it.

the notion that the 4.0 is this delicate peice of machinary that will vent at any attempt to increase its power output is nothing short of uninformed, unfounded, and plain stupid. theres guys on RPS pushing nearly 300 HP from this motor with very little or no engine work. i dont think ive ever met a factory engine that couldnt easily handle a low boost of 8PSI or so on even a daily driven vehicle.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
If you want an unrelieable peice of shit

The 4.0 has a cylinder bore and stroke that is just as big as your typical 350/351, The heads on these engines make our little rangers look like a small scared school girl.
that block started out as a 2.9L remember.

But if you have time and money and you want power. Theres nothing better then a v-8
wrong on all counts,except the last.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals