• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

44/9" swap

CreepyCrawler

NCMillwright
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordFordFord
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 4.0 5.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My credo
it is what it is
ok ive got a 78/79 hp44 dsd (and 9" soon to come) im wanting to put in my 91 ranger. ive got a few questions... 1) as far as the yoke on the 44/9" are the u joints the same size as the stock u joints on my ranger (d35ttb) and will the stock shafts work?

2) as far as building the axles...im not really planning on doing any extreme wheeling as this will be a DD as well. i do want to build the axles somewhat (shafts gears brakes lockers)---> as far as shafts go im probably only going to be running 35-36" tires, i want to run 33 spline 44 shafts and 33/35 spline 9" shafts but not sure who to go with...YUKON, MOSER, ALLOY USA, ETC? as for gears i was thinking 456 YUKON or SUPERIOR (have a 4.0l) does anybody recommend one over the other? brakes i definitely want to go 4 disk all around...i know a lot of people run wilwood but im not sure if i want to fork over that amount for a light truck with half ton stock braking power? could i just run some fairly decent caps pads and rotors and may)? as for lockers i know i want a DETROIT in the rear, dont want to weld the front, was thinking a tru-trac or some other lunchbox locker in the front should suffice?

3) as for the front having cast wedges...will the radius arm mounts work with the ranger?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My front driveshaft ujoint fit perfectly on the dana 44 axle I used. I had to shorten the shaft though.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
ok ive got a 78/79 hp44 dsd (and 9" soon to come) im wanting to put in my 91 ranger. ive got a few questions... 1) as far as the yoke on the 44/9" are the u joints the same size as the stock u joints on my ranger (d35ttb) and will the stock shafts work? Yeah it should match up fine, i reccomend u bolts and not straps for attachment though.

2) as far as building the axles...im not really planning on doing any extreme wheeling as this will be a DD as well. i do want to build the axles somewhat (shafts gears brakes lockers)---> as far as shafts go im probably only going to be running 35-36" tires, i want to run 33 spline 44 shafts and 33/35 spline 9" shafts but not sure who to go with...YUKON, MOSER, ALLOY USA, ETC? as for gears i was thinking 456 YUKON or SUPERIOR (have a 4.0l) does anybody recommend one over the other? brakes i definitely want to go 4 disk all around...i know a lot of people run wilwood but im not sure if i want to fork over that amount for a light truck with half ton stock braking power? could i just run some fairly decent caps pads and rotors and may)? as for lockers i know i want a DETROIT in the rear, dont want to weld the front, was thinking a tru-trac or some other lunchbox locker in the front should suffice?
Personally I would go with yukon for gears shafts and a locker. Read about their warranty, its badass. I just put regular disks and pads from pep boys on my front axle with re manned pistons for like 120 total. I can lock the brakes up easily. As far as what type of locker, go for the yukon grizzly. Its almost exactly like a detroit only it wont grenade if you happen to ever break a shaft. I have both a detroit and grizzly and the grizzly is a bit better for the peace of mind in my opinion.
3) as for the front having cast wedges...will the radius arm mounts work with the ranger?Im not sure what you are asking, but if you are asking if you can put the radius arm frame end mounts on your truck, yes

CreepyCrawler

NCMillwright
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordFordFord
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 4.0 5.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My credo
it is what it is
awesome thank you. that helps a lot

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals