• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4X4 conversion Ranger Trailhead

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 2wd ranger trailhead. I have an opportunity to buy the front running gear off a 2004 4x4 sporttack. Just so Im on the right page. Since both have torsion bar suspension. This swap should be pretty straight forward. So it would seem from what I have read. Is it really that simple. Any advice from someone with knowledge on this subject would be much appreciated.

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I will be installing a 347 in this truck in the future.I hope to anyway.I already have this motor built.Is thier any easier route. I guess a solid front axle might be easier for the motor clearence and such. But I dont know if that is easiest as far as the conversion goes. Can I body lift this thing and cram a C6 in the sucker.I am not afraid too modify anything. I got a bridgeport mill,and a clausing colchester lathe. With years of fab and machineing expierience.I can weld good enough for the girls around here anyway.Im a Mantainence Engineer in the machine tool/fab/manufacturing Industry.So what Im trying to say is outside the box is not out of the question. Eager to post a good build thread.And before I get questioned about the C6 and its horsepower robbing slushiness. I would like to mention its what I have. It was in my 1982 stang.Beast of thing I tell you industructible!Bought it new from TCI with a 3500 stall. I gues I will just bull shit with myself then.:icon_welder:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
hmmm..

racetruck?

not sure offhand on the swap...iirc the tb chassis is a simple parts replacement for 4x4.

i suggest a decent aod over a 3 speed trans, it will allow for better gearing and all around performance depending on your goals.

a efi stroker into an wide ratio mild build aod with stock ride height and tires with 410 gears would be pretty bad ass.

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
My plans are to keep the 3.0 in while im doing a 4x4 conversion. As soon as I have 4wd up and running. I will begin on the 347.Prepping it getting the need list ready.I would like a 5 speed standard out of an F150. I drove a 1997 F150 with a 4.6 5speed. It really had some torque. But I dont know if I can adapt to this tranny. 347 is throwing down mad amounts of torque. Im kinda new to the 4x4 lingo.So Im in a bit of a learning curve when it comes to tranny part numbers and t-cases. I really want to fuel inject this motor. It makes ridiculous torque with a carb.Fuel injection would be seriuos.I will likely buy some hardware from moates to do this.I wonder though if a pcm for 351w would get me started. Mega squirt I dont know yet still learning about whats available.I would like to hack an EEC-V with EDIS coil on plug to save some bucks. I have to teach myself how to hack.Im sure my SBF will be breaking things that ok thats what I made it for.My first goal is to get just the front running gear under my truck and driving. Then I will invest in a t-case. Need a good part number for a Manual not electric.I want to be offroading under 3.0 power at first then work towards the stroker.

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Oh too answer your question about it being a race truck. I dont know lets just see what happens. A well built stroker can be plenty reliable with the right goodies. My stroker was based on a fuel injection build that trickflow did. I just used different brand heads and different brand cam.World products roush racing cylinder heads.Competition cams stage 2 hydraulic roller. EFI friendly. I would like the truck to have all the luxury items that a stock truck would have. The main reason I want to do this is because Ive always been into offroading. I just havent always had the budget.I got myself a sweet little ranger pickup. Its a regular cab short bed. To be ohnest I dont see too many rangers that are regular cab 4x4. Especially here in Oklahoma we still use wagons ya know(YEEHAA)Im Kicking shit as I write this. Everytime I see an Iceland Formula Offroad Video the hair stands up on the back of my neck. I cant quit thinking about standing on the throttle of a 400hp beast. Must finish now.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
sounds like a good plan. do the 4x4 first.

then look to a 97 up 4x4 with a v6. get the manual trans and t case from one of those and it will greatly simplify your powertrain goals.

the base setup from a 2000 explorer and the moates type tuner will round you out.

though a b100 type processor from a 95-96 351 windsor may be a perfect fit for your 347 for a cake efi swap. i have used the van processors/harness with some great success..sefi maf stone stock. just hard to find.

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Yea that was what I was thinking. I will keep my eyes peeled for 351 setup. That would be the most affordable.Im goin to go ahead and pursue this sport track front end.I will keep the info posted.Thankyou!

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Here is some picks of the Ranger and the big inch small block.

Attachments

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Here is some pics of the 8.8 31 spline. I was a bit dissapointed to find out it is an open diff.However it does have 410's and that is what the 28 spline 8.8 in the truck has. So know speedo trouble, I hope. I should be driving on this by the end of the week.

Attachments

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Ive been driving on the suspesnsion for awhile now. It drives good. I replaced the TB's with the sport trrac's they were thicker. I also cranked em up a bit. No binding or anything at the CV'S. I dont have 4wd yet. The truck still has the stock 3.0 with the M50D-R1. My options for the power plant have broadened a bit. I have aquired a 4.0 sohc with the purchase of the wreck. It has the 5 speed auto with the 13-54 electric T-case. I have the 4.0 in the frame with the entire wire harness. I just started it up today. It fired right up.Here is some pics of progress and the motors Im working with. Im going to drive this thing with the 4.0 for a bit. Then Im gonna cram the 347 in it.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals