• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 wont turn off

Rodney Colvin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If I remove the shift motor on the transfer case, will it stay in 2wd? I'm stuck in 4lo due to electrical problems and really need to go to work. I want to get the shiftster and replace it, I just can't till after I get paid. I know it wont stay in 4x4, but I'm hoping it will stay in 2wd. Will this work or am I screwed?

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
yes . It clicks into 2 wd. It will stay in 4w high once you find it , which takes a little fiddling some times.

tonybeeman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
ranger won't come out of 4WD

my 2004 ranger when I select 4wd with the manual stick it is Ok, but when I deselect the manual shift to 2wd and then press the button on the dash to sw off the 4wd 'on the move' permissive there is a clunk after about 100yds - why does the on the move not deselect when press th ebutton like it used to ?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Rodney, if you pop the motor off and pop the case back to 2wd it will stay, but you won't be able to put the motor back on. I would try cleaning the motor before shucking out for a shiftster. Read this:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TCaseshiftmotor.htm

my 2004 ranger when I select 4wd with the manual stick it is Ok, but when I deselect the manual shift to 2wd and then press the button on the dash to sw off the 4wd 'on the move' permissive there is a clunk after about 100yds - why does the on the move not deselect when press th ebutton like it used to ?
Tony, WTF did you ask?

I honestly can't tell if you have a manual or e-shift transfer case from that post.

A clunk coming back out can be normal if you are dry pavement. The drive train winds up and starts to bind. When you throw it back in 2wd all that tension is released rather suddenly and you get a clunk or bang.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yes . It clicks into 2 wd. It will stay in 4w high once you find it , which takes a little fiddling some times.
Pretty sure it won't. As soon as you decelerate, it will pop into neutral. It only stays in 4low or 2hi.

I could be wrong, it has been 6 years since I shifted my case with channellocks... That 2nd shifter in my floor is one of my favorite upgrades.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Right now the Rat is in 4 high with the front hubs unlocked. It has been this way since Thanksgiving. Once you have it engaged, it seems to be locked in . I have a pair of vise grips clamped on the shaft. It is fine around town. If I gonna be traveling on the highway , I shift into 2 wd. I have the shift pointer and the modes painted white for easy shifting. The vise grips are tethered on a wire so that even if they slip off I wont lose them. :D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Rock the drive shaft, it will come out of 4x4 easier.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals