• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5 speed shifter install problem

bobaloo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
To make a long story short, I have a leak and I think I fixed it. Now the problem. It's just a stock 5sp in my 94 ranger 4 banger. I pulled the shifter out of the top of the trans and cannot get it back in so that it works. It goes in place but wont shift into gears. I don't believe it was in neutral before I pulled it, and it sounded and felt like something spring loaded moved. Now I can't figure out how to put it back right.
Help Please!
Thanks In Advance,
Bob

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looking down through the top of the trans, if the right side is a mirror image of the left side and the top mirrors the bottom, then it should be in neutral and ready to put the shifter back in. If not mirrored, then use a long screwdriver to put everything in place. You may have to try more than once to get it right.

bobaloo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
trans continued

Looking down from the top I noticed a spring loaded lever on the left side near the top. what position should this lever be in?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There will be 3 shift rails for a 6 speed( 5 forward, 1 reverse)

All 3 need to be lined up in the center of the shifter hole.
Picture here: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2007/shifterbushings.shtml

See picture just below Step #8
It shows 2 of the 3 slots in Neutral.

If trans is in gear then shift rails can be hard to move because the weight if the truck is holding them, if you rock the truck/wheels it can be easier to "shift" the rails, but watch out, truck WILL roll when you do get it into Neutral.

bobaloo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks!!! Gonna try to get things lined up tomorrow. I'm just gonna jack up rear end to get tension off driveline. I'll let you know how it all works out.
BTW I noticed that there are a couple bushings and spring washers etc...I found 2 spring washers and half a bushing in mine. I guess it is time for a new set of parts.
Thanks again.

bobaloo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
One more...

Any Idea about the spring loaded arm located on the left side of the opening? It's near the top opening. does it go behind the spring lever?

bobaloo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks

Got it neutral, replaced all the shifter parts and hopefully fixed the leak. I think the lever I wrote about was for the reverse lite switch. Anyway it looks and feels like a success! I had no idea how worn out the shifter was, what a difference.
Thanks for all the help!!!:yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals