• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

7.5 3.73's from a '90 into a 7.5 for a 95??? sorry guys im new here

lilrebelranger67

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i have a rear end (minus the drums backing plates and shoes) from a 1990 ford ranger 4x4 that had a 2.9 i've confirmed its a 7.5 with 3.73's. my question is will the ring and pinion swap over to my 95 2.3l 5spd(has 3.45 in it) or should i not even use "used gears" in the first place seeing that i will completely lose the....uhh for lack of a better term "timing" that it was broken in at. and if this would work would i have to change anything other than the ring and pinion.? it only has RWabs so i think the gears would just switch over to the carrier no problem. i use this truck mostly for daily driving plus or minus the occaisional burnout or 2(depends on the mood my feet are in) and i've heard that the 4 banger runs more efficiently with 3.73's with the 5 speed.

and if none of this will work. anyone interested in a 7.5? complete with axles? 1 axle seal is bad and one of the axles may need to be repaired.. pinion seal may need replaced to.

any help would be appreciated

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Umm, you will need to re-setup the rear when you swap gears. If this is news to you, have a pro do it. One has to be extremely anal about details on a rear end or it will die a horrible death very quickly.

Having said that, they can be made to work.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
you would be MUCH better off swapping entire axle housings. if it doesnt have brakes, youll have to swap those as well. you can swap an axle in your garage with basic tools though, you cant really swap gears unless you have the knowlege and the proper tools. even then, its easier to just swap the housing.

edit: spring perch width may not permit a direct bolt on swap. still, moving spring perches would be a better way to go than swapping gears.

Last edited:

lilrebelranger67

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Umm, you will need to re-setup the rear when you swap gears. If this is news to you, have a pro do it. One has to be extremely anal about details on a rear end or it will die a horrible death very quickly.

Having said that, they can be made to work.
does this mean like replacing the crush sleeve and seals or what. i have plenty of tools (and if i dont have one i can probably get it from a friend) i know the one thing i would nee would be an inch pound torque wrench

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would just try and find another 7.5 with your choice of gears and ABS sensor that's in good shape and swap that in...or better yet, an 8.8. Both are insanely cheap and easy to find.

I think you would be time and money ahead doing this than setting up used gears in another housing.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
does this mean like replacing the crush sleeve and seals or what. i have plenty of tools (and if i dont have one i can probably get it from a friend) i know the one thing i would nee would be an inch pound torque wrench
If you think you can do it, read this thread

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28962

Then think about it again.

I've rebuilt engines, re-done suspensions and swapped axles, and have done everything on my truck except re-gear the axles since I know I don't have the patience.

Hibs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
does it have a limited slip diff?

i would be interested in buying the rear from ya.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals