• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8 hour smoke fest

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
so, how many of your brains went in the wrong direction with that title? actually i picked up some salmon real cheap :D , $2.50 a pound at the dock. brought it home,filleted them out, cut them in chunks. got 16 nice pieces. soaked them in a homemade brine, recipe as follows: 3/4cup canning salt mixed with 4tablespoons "old bay seafood seasoning" 4tablespoons garlic powder[one crushed clove can be substituted] one cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup terriaki[sp]marrinade[or what ever you like, but only a 1/4 cup or to taste, yes taste your brine to make sure it ain't too salty] 2squirts worstershire sauce and a pinch of sage mixed in a 6quart stainless steel pot[ use stainless or plastic] after mix is prepared, cut your fish in 3-4inch sections and make sure they are well rinsed in COLD water and well chilled before dunking in brine. after fish is emersed in bine place bowl on top of fish to promote emersion and place in fridge for at least 12 hours [i did mine for 16 ] and then before going in the smoker rinse fish in REAL COLD water and pat dry then place on rack and let air dry for at least an hour or until fish develops a "skin". after that it's easy, fire up smoker, choose your chips[ i chose to mix mesquite with hickory] and then let her smoke, changing chips when the smoke stops[usually an hour to an hour and a half depending on how big chip tray is] temperature is critical, it needs to maintain between 150-160* the smoke not as critical, normally takes any where from 2-4 chip tray for a good smoke depending on how smoky you like it. if your smoker doesn't feel all that warm you can put a cardboard box around the sides to hold heat, especially if it's cool outside. but that only if you have the metal kind like big and little chief smokers. you can also make your own smoker, they are pretty simple, some plywood and 2x4's and a firepit of some kind to burn charcoal with a chip pan. after 8-12hours[ how long you smoke depends on how dry you like your fish] you have to smoke at least 8 hours for a proper cure. then vacu-seal and store. stays good in fridge 5-6days, freezer...indeffinate :D :D then put on the feed bag and enjoy, if you like fish.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just did a chicken last Sunday. 5H later it was Perfect. I wrap my chicken in cheese cloth and marinate it like that. It holds in the marinade better along with moisture.

Meat just falls off the bone.

I'll be doing 2 more this week sometime. Likely start with a home made Teriaki mix.

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, since i discovered the smoker in my girlfriends garage[she calls everything of hers, ours] i've come up with all kinds of ideas for smoking stuff :icon_bounceblue: that and a vacu-sealer and you're good to go :icon_thumby:
I just did a chicken last Sunday. 5H later it was Perfect. I wrap my chicken in cheese cloth and marinate it like that. It holds in the marinade better along with moisture.

Meat just falls off the bone.

I'll be doing 2 more this week sometime. Likely start with a home made Teriaki mix.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah, since i discovered the smoker in my girlfriends garage[she calls everything of hers, ours] i've come up with all kinds of ideas for smoking stuff :icon_bounceblue: that and a vacu-sealer and you're good to go :icon_thumby:
Mines a Home made jobbie out of a 55 gal drum. I do use real wood fire, and use wet logs for the smoke, not Chips, or charcoal.

I do mine old school.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
While in the Marine Corps in the 70's, I was busted by the Inspector General for making beef jerky, in my wall locker, with a heat lamp. Actually, he laughed his ass off and had to sample some. Smoked salmon is great, too!

aogden001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my daughter swears that my smoked meatloaf is "like biting into heaven"

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Mmmmmm, smoked salmon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals