• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.0L ('83-'88) '84 - 2.0L intake help

M.F.P.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Good day all!

this is my last attempt at trying to find a solution to my problems! i'll try and keep it brief.

I've had this truck for 8 almost 9 years. it's a 1984 Ford Ranger with a 2.0L. 1bbl carb.

right from when i bought it it's been stupidly cold blooded. so i replaced the auto choke with a manual. it helped but still very cold blooded.

Well sure enough one day (16years old) i forgot to put the oil cap back on and ran it empty on oil.

fast forward 3 years and i rebuild the engine completely.

Still cold blooded!

Last year i rebuilt the carb, no help. +30deg C - 100ish F - and i'd still have to let it run for a solid 5 min with choke before i could drive it.
after its warm, it runs like a top!

the only vacuum leak i could find is the throttle shaft is slightly wore out, and i'd have to physically move it up and down in order for it to accelerate with propane or brake clean.

From the research i've done i have a few options, all of which arent great but i dont know what to do.

1 - New factory carb
2 - Find a local doner with a 2bbl and replace the complete intake
3 - aftermarket intake and carb, racer walsh - webber, or esslinger with a holley 350

one thing to note is i'm in Canada,

Thanks in advance!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's the nature of the beast. Carbed engines need time to get up to temperature. Conversely, efi monitors engine and compensates automatically so you can drive off immediately .
That said, I had real good experience with a Weber replacement carb on an 87 Mazda 2.6. I'm not sure if they make a kit for your application.

M.F.P.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It's the nature of the beast. Carbed engines need time to get up to temperature. Conversely, efi monitors engine and compensates automatically so you can drive off immediately .
I'd disagree,

my 3.0L in my boat, fires right up and i can givver right away, even in freezing temps. As well as any lawnmower i've ever had, choke for 5-10 seconds and off to the races.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, most of my experiences are on old worn out BB ford. The mazda carb was replaced because of so many vacuum controlled emissions being removed by the previous owner.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Curious if someone makes a 1bbl to 2bbl adapter plate - if so you could in theory run a Motorcraft 2150/Autolite 2100 2bbl. I know several Toyota guys that did that on 20R/22R engines with excellent results. They swore off Webers after that and said they no longer have to constantly tune them. That said your easy button is a factory replacement carb.

Carbureted engines are just kinda cold blooded by nature unless the stars are aligned just right. I've had a couple that just fired right up - my old 1980 Chevy K10 was like that. Had a stock '80 F100 with an inline six and a '85 F250 with a 460 and Edelbrock carb though that were just godawful hard to drive in cold weather. The F100 was just a bear to get started and the F250 would start fine but needed a lot of warmup time, and it cooled off really fast - 10 below zero and a quick trip into McDonald's to eat would result in needing to play the wait-for-it-to-warm-up game again and it'd flood out if you tried to drive too soon. Do not miss those days.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals