• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'85 Factory AC System -- How to Repair

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
If you do decide to replace the condenser (I would if for no other reason than to ensure all of the mineral oil is out of the system, it does lay at the bottom of the condenser) then purchase a newer design parrallel condenser & not the old style tube & fin, the parrallel is far more efficient (especially where a heat exchanger for 134 is required)

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If you do decide to replace the condenser (I would if for no other reason than to ensure all of the mineral oil is out of the system, it does lay at the bottom of the condenser) then purchase a newer design parrallel condenser & not the old style tube & fin, the parrallel is far more efficient (especially where a heat exchanger for 134 is required)
That's a great idea, if the fittings fit and it mounts properly.

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi guys. Can I jump in on the convo? I am doing a similar repair on my '88. Currently the compressor and lines are off but the connections are taped over at the accumulator and evaporator. I didn't know they made something to flush the system until this thread so its already been helpful. Anyway, I'm replacing everything but the condenser and evaporator. I was going to grab the compressor off my parts truck. My question is, is there any concern over using the old pump? It isn't seized and seems in overall good condition. Is there something specific I should inspect? It was sealed up until I removed but there was no refrigerant in the system so I assumed a leak is what stopped it from working. I have the connections covered with plastic right now to keep it clean. Second, how much oil (and type) and refrigerant do I need?

If I should delete this and make my own thread, let me know.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys. Can I jump in on the convo? I am doing a similar repair on my '88. Currently the compressor and lines are off but the connections are taped over at the accumulator and evaporator. I didn't know they made something to flush the system until this thread so its already been helpful. Anyway, I'm replacing everything but the condenser and evaporator. I was going to grab the compressor off my parts truck. My question is, is there any concern over using the old pump? It isn't seized and seems in overall good condition. Is there something specific I should inspect? It was sealed up until I removed but there was no refrigerant in the system so I assumed a leak is what stopped it from working. I have the connections covered with plastic right now to keep it clean. Second, how much oil (and type) and refrigerant do I need?

If I should delete this and make my own thread, let me know.
Bolt it all together. Make sure you don't dump very much of the oil out of the compressor. Get a vacuum pump and pull a vacuum on the system and check for leaks. Then go to Walmart or the parts store and get a conversion kit. It will have the conversion fittings, and two large cans of r134a and ester oil mix. Get the engine running, jump the low pressure switch to make the compressor run, and fill the system with the two cans of oil/freon. If you read the instructions, they tell you to shake the cans to make sure the oil goes in with the gas.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's getting hot out. Time to revisit this lol.

I'm going to post some pictures of my factory setup tonight. Hopefully I can make a plan and get this AC system working soon.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As promised, here are some pictures of my factory ac system.

I think a new compressor flush and o rings, it might be ok. I need to price new hoses too.

Attachments

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh and don't judge my wiring lol. I'm going to loom it all soon. Was a lot of trouble shooting to get to the point I'm at now!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Last edited:

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You can enter year, make and model (1985 Ford Bronco II) and it should open a page to let you select components. 4Seasons is one of the "big" suppliers, and in many cases you can cross reference their part numbers to other brands.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
That's not a bad price, and you get the compressor with clutch, drier and orifice valve. On the 4Seasons website they're showing the condensor and two of the three hoses needed, in case you're leaning toward changing everything (that touches the freon) but the evaporator.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Biggest challenge I see from all this is having a vacuum pump and a set of good gages.

What is everyone using for a vacuum gage?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I think that a new condensor is worth it, and then all you would lack is the three hoses and you would have everything being new*** that touches the freon, except the evaporator. The evaporator is probably the easiest component to flush, so unless it's got a leak I'm good with reusing it.
*** "New" these days ain't like what "new" used to be, but at least you have a warranty on new parts.

Gauge sets and a vac pump can likely be rented from the "big box" parts stores, if you have any close by. On mine, in recent years, I just used a local shop to suck 'em down and shoot 'em. When I have to deal with an AC system next time, I'll bite the bullet and buy a set of new gauges, and just rent the pump. My old R12 gauges is an antique now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals