• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86K mile 4.0L rebuild

trish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
hummer
Transmission
Automatic
I would say that if you dont want to pull the entire engine apart, run a compression test before removing the heads. Then get the heads off and to a machine shop to have them check it out. If all comes back well go to your local parts store and buy a head gasket set and put it all back together.
Another test before doing compression test is if you know that the system is purged completely, then use a coolant pressure tester and crank the engine over or start it and see if the system builds pressure immediately. If it does or you will notice air bubbles in the coolant reservoir while running you may have a bad gasket or a internal crack in head or block.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I am looking to see what ppl recommend for aftermarket replacement parts for an 86K mile 91 explorer motor. I have the engine sitting outside right now, gonna be putting it into the garage so that I can work on it. I want to know, what good parts stores/places offer aftermarket exhaust manifolds, upper and lower intakes, etc for the 4.0 ohv's? Also, complete exhaust will be necessary, aftermarket preferred. What brands do you all recommend for replacing guts if I have to do so? I may have to tear into it to check it out, so I'm not real sure what/who to go with?
IF it's really only got 86k on it why do you want to mess with it?

Ever hear the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Frankly Since I can buy a RUNNING 4.0 for less than what a gasket set & a se of head bolts costs
(4.0 headbolts are not reuseable) I see little point in tearing one apart.

AD

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals