• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 4x4 manual swap crank no start

green'87-4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, new to TRS. I bought a project 87 with the 2.9l engine. The previous owner threw lots of money and parts and couldn't get it to run. Even rebuilt the engine. I've discovered through a vin search that it was originally an automatic. Odometer indicates it hasn't driven in almost 10 years. And there's been multiple owners who have swapped trans, built brush guard, rebuilt and swapped engines etc.

So I bought I bit of a mess but I'm hoping I have more patience than the others and can figure this out, get it running and use it as a farm truck in California.

The PCM has a sticker on it that says for Taurus and Sable 3.0 only.
Can I trust this? And assume I need to buy a manual trans pcm for 2.9? I've never seen another PCM to compare to.

Any other wiring details that may be missing I'd love to hear about it.

New from previous owner:
iac valve
Air temp sensor
Aftermarket Coil
Distributor
Aftermarket Injectors

Work done by previous owner:
Two new catalytic converters
Rebuilt engine honed cylinders
Resurfaced heads
Pulled hair out (assuming)
Spent $3000 in parts and machining

Since I've had it:
I bypassed a melted connection to inertia switch.
Checked Fuel is coming to rail
Has spark
Corrected 180 out distributor timing
Cleaned out throttle body

Going to replace TFI mod today

I'm aware that cam timing might be 180 out. Good thing it's non interference.

Any tips and things to double check would be greatly appreciated. I have read lots of threads but figured I'd start one anyway.

Thanks for reading
PXL_20240415_012418284.jpg
PXL_20240415_012517362.jpg

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
3.0 PCM is definitely wrong, but; depending on year might be close enough? Early EFI is pretty primitive. If it's for a 3.0 with distributor and MAP or MAF (whatever the truck has) it should work to start if the wiring is the same. That's a whole lot of ifs though. Especially considering there are a few in junkyards within a short drive from you, at least according to https://www.car-part.com/

green'87-4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the fast reply!
And for the link, I was looking for old rangers nearby but couldn't find any. Found the right pcm with that link and got a PCM monday. I peeked inside and the board looks clean.

Plugged it in and also replaced TFI module, it almost started a couple times really stumbling but couldn't get it going. I was getting excited! But After spraying starting fluid it wanted to start even less, no stumbling just cranking.

So Seems like ignition issue although it's all been replaced new. Gonna try the ect sensor next to see if that's got it running too rich.

I'll update as I go.
Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals