• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 B2 vacuum lines and EGR valve bolt

TastierCash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
A few weeks back I decided to replace the injectors in my bronco and, to make it a bit easier, I removed the intake to get better access to the fuel rail. When I went to unbolt the egr valve from the intake one of the bolts snapped and I can't seem to find a replacement. After putting everything back together (minus the egr since I only have one bolt) I also realized that a couple of vacuum lines weren't plugged in to wherever they originally went. All of the lines for the intake are plugged in to their respective connections, I just don't know where these other ones go. Any help on either of these two issues or tips for working on/maintaining the truck would be appreciated.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 87 engine sitting on a stand. I can post a picture tomorrow as right now I am at work. I think the EGR is still hooked up.

Just doing your basic maintenance will go a long way. Use good quality parts. If your sensors are original, might want to look into replacing those.

Valve cover gaskets can leak bad. Get the Fel Pro gasket. I cant remember the better part number but it is easy to find.

On my build thread (2) My 87 Ranger I will be restoring soon I want to keep track of my progress and add information as I find it. | The Ranger Station

Thru out it, I have some sensors that I show. I show where some of the grounds are that need to at least be cleaned with a wire brush.

TastierCash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 87 engine sitting on a stand. I can post a picture tomorrow as right now I am at work. I think the EGR is still hooked up.

Just doing your basic maintenance will go a long way. Use good quality parts. If your sensors are original, might want to look into replacing those.

Valve cover gaskets can leak bad. Get the Fel Pro gasket. I cant remember the better part number but it is easy to find.

On my build thread (2) My 87 Ranger I will be restoring soon I want to keep track of my progress and add information as I find it. | The Ranger Station

Thru out it, I have some sensors that I show. I show where some of the grounds are that need to at least be cleaned with a wire brush.
The EGR (which I am still replacing cause it sat for about 20 years) and its line and pipe are fine and I know how to install them, the problem I'm having with the EGR is that one of my bolts for it had snapped off when removing it to get the intake off. I got the broken bolt out by welding a nut to it but I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere and it doesn't seem to be a standard bolt size. The issues with vacuum lines are with a few different lines scattered around different sections of the engine bay and I have no clue where they plug back into because I've already reconnected the ones that go to the intake onto their respective posts. I really appreciate any help with this nightmare of a project, some things just keep going wrong.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@TastierCash
It is a standard metric size bolt; just go to a reputable fastener depot. Here in the PNW there are Fastenal and Tacoma Screw. They can size your sample, if they don't happen to have on in stock, they can order it.

TastierCash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
So I realized that an old 01 town car that I have has egr bolts that are almost identical to the ones in my b2, the only difference is that the ones from the town car are slightly shorter in length but I'm guessing that it should be fine. Since the town car is already sort of trashed and destroyed, except for really anything in the engine bay, I'm considering looking into putting the 4.2L v8 from it into the b2 but I probably wont cause of the amount of work. Now the only issue I have (with the engine bay in the b2) is the vacuum lines that aren't hooked in.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I looked at my motor and the lines are not hooked up for the EGR as well. I will need to look into where they go myself.

I posted some info on my build as you were asking for tips on maintaining these trucks.

TastierCash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I looked at my motor and the lines are not hooked up for the EGR as well. I will need to look into where they go myself.

I posted some info on my build as you were asking for tips on maintaining these trucks.
I appreciate the info, the lines that I’m having problems with aren’t for the egr. To be honest I don’t really know what they’re for but they’re on the same side and area as the air intake/filter.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
20240412_104821.jpg

Didn't realize this same topic was going on in two places...

TastierCash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
@Uncle Gump
Yeah both posts are from me but I thought that it might be a good idea, for those who may need any of the info later, to make a new separate thread for this separate issue but then both began to get new responses.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's all good...

It's best to just make one post. Sometimes it takes a minute for questions to soak. But typically there is mo shortage of people offering help on TRS.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
That's really simple. Brake booster, modulator valve, and cruise control servo.

Pretty sure there should be Evap and intake temp flap there somewhere at least.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals