• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 exhaust y?

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
On an 87 Ranger with a 2.9 what is after the y-pipe? Is it a Y that goes single inlet into a cat? Or is the Y built into the cat with single outlet? The idiot PO of the truck just welded on a plate with 2 pipes coming off of it with cherry bombs. Used to set off my buddies honda's car alarm which was the only benefit.:icon_rofl:

Anyway im gonna fix it with a cat and/or Y from a junkyard and I want to know how the stock exhaust is ran. Also it is a 2.5in pipe right? Gonna order a Flowmaster from summit and want to know what size to get.

Oh and pics would be VERY helpful.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
IIRC after the "Y" pipe there should be 2 cats then a short pipe in to the muffler and then the tailpipe. I can't find the picture that would explain it the right way. The cat will bolt onto the "Y" pipe at the front of the cat. Hope that helps.

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
IIRC after the "Y" pipe there should be 2 cats then a short pipe in to the muffler and then the tailpipe. I can't find the picture that would explain it the right way. The cat will bolt onto the "Y" pipe at the front of the cat. Hope that helps.
Okay so what you are saying is that there is the Y pipe( bolts to the manifolds) ,then a cat or 2 that bolts to that, and the rest of the system after that right? Just wanted to be sure that the 2-into-1 pipe was integrated into the cat, not a separate peice that bolts to the Y then to the cat.

jhammel85

Yup, there are two cats, stacked. You can most likely get away with just 1 cat though.

Heres a pic of what's stock:

Frankly, if I had a blank canvas infront of me, like you do, I'd just buy the 1st cat with the flange and work from there with the exhaust piping. It's cheaper and from what I've read on here, still legal outside of CA.

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, there are two cats, stacked. You can most likely get away with just 1 cat though.

Heres a pic of what's stock:

Frankly, if I had a blank canvas infront of me, like you do, I'd just buy the 1st cat with the flange and work from there with the exhaust piping. It's cheaper and from what I've read on here, still legal outside of CA.
Ya thats perfect man thank you. Was planning on doing just that. Since we have to have a damn cat.:icon_twisted: Ill be heading to the junkyard and picking one up, then ill get my flowmaster and get this done right.

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well im finally geared up and ready to buy my flowmaster... but one problem... which 40 series do I get?

On summit they list the regular 40, delta flow 40, and super 40.
Whats the difference? I like it loud but not annoying so i wanted a 40... just dont know what is best for my little 2.9. :dunno:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They all have different sounds. I have the Delta on my 02 F150 and it is a quieter muffler than the regular 40 series.

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Okay, so im either gonna get the regular or the super, I think.
Supposedly the super is more aggressive. The super is $20 more so im assumuing that its probably bettern some way.
Anyone have experiece with these?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Guess I should have added that I have the 40 series on my 85 GT and you won't hear any complaints from me.

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input. I ordere the original 40 for $64 and it shipped monday. Im so exited! Ill let ya know if it sounds good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals