• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ranger "Rough Restoration"

dddvis94

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I've wanted a gen 1 or gen 2 Ranger for a while now, and after putting around 30 thousand miles on my 2013 Mustang I saw an opportunity for a new daily. I found one semi-locally on craigslist that I liked, it was a little rough around the edges but I wasn't too worried about it. Drove a little over an hour to check it out, and when we got there it wouldn't even stay running. it turned over, but that was about it. Talked the guy down to under half the asking price (got it for $500) and hauled it home. After a battery and an in-line fuel pump, it would barely stay running, and smoked like a chimney. Decided to pull the engine and trans and do a complete rebuild since I have another vehicle and a top of the line shop to do it in (I'm a Mercedes tech). I'll post pictures through the process, maybe I can get some pointers along the way. Any tips help! Thanks for checking out the build!

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

Some pictures from the ad and pulling the engine, trans, and transfer case. some engine tear down too.

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_4224.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

IMG_4233.jpg

IMG_4225.jpg

Found a donor for the interior for sale for $200, 89 2WD. Also has a 2.9, so I'm thinking about using harness and everything for an EGR delete.

dddvis94

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Block and heads are currently at a local machine shop, and I just finished stripping the interior out of the donor yesterday afternoon. Going to clean the pieces up and do a cheap spray to black with some Dupli-color vinyl and fabric spray. Will post pics of the process and results, for both the interior pieces and engine components!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Looks nice. I would hate to have white tile floors in the shop. As much as I hated having bare cement at the last shop I would hate white tile even more.

Dark red or gray paint, that's the way to go. Easy to keep clean, doesn't show the dirt.

dddvis94

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Yea the tile definitely gets a "shadowy" look very easily haha our floor machine is put through its paces for sure. As far as paint, I wasn't sure if you were referring to the truck or the floor, but if it was for the truck I found an article from hot rod magazine I believe about a quick paint job they had to do. They ended up using this paint from a company called TCP Global called Hot Rod Flatz. The kit is roughly $200, and with it being a satin paint I figured it would be harder to mess up. I'd never try my hand at a gloss paint job, I already know the result would be awful. I picked out a charcoal gray for it, I figured with black trim and some black steelies it would look pretty nice. Now if you were referring to the floor the whole time, I apologize for all the unnecessary information haha.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'll talk paint on floors, cars, trucks, kids, dogs. Pretty much if it gets paint on it and isn't a house I am in.

I was talking about the floor, but I think that color scheme will look good on the truck too.

dddvis94

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
After realizing the donor truck has a low mileage 2.9 in it and was parked due to a transmission issue, I've decided to pull the engine out of it, replace some gaskets, seals, and basic accessories, and toss it in the 4x4 while I'm rebuilding the original motor. I figured I could be a little lazier with the rebuild if I'm able to get this one up and going. Going to attempt some "frankenstein-ing" to convert to a single pump fuel system since I'm using the newer harness and computer. Already started cleaning parts off of the other engine to put onto this one, and other parts have started arriving. Should have everything by tomorrow or Friday.

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

dddvis94

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Since I'm swapping the harness from the newer 2.9 out of the donor truck, I had to figure something out about the dual to single fuel pump change. Under the assumption that by the time power reaches the in tank fuel pump its just battery voltage, I got an 87 sending unit and retrofitted an 89 pump to it. All I had to do was widen the hole on the mount where the strainer would connect to the bottom of the pump and swap the power and ground wires (I guess with the pump upgrade in 89 they swapped the size of the male connections on the pump). Once I did that it all buttoned up nicely, and I was able to get it in the new tank. Again I'm not familiar with the way the fuel system works what so ever, so hopefully it's a pretty rudimentary set up. I'll bypass the in line pump once the bed is off for the tank. Looking at getting the engine out of the donor truck this weekend.

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals