• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 4x4 5pd 2.3 what to watch for?

mattri

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Looking at buying an 88 ranger 4x4 5spd with the 2.3. Truck is pretty clean, body and interior ok. I know some of the early 5spds had problems with seals, this one seems to shift fine. Engine runs well, no leaks or smoke or noise. What kind of things should I look out for? What to check, what to expect? Thanks, Matt.

schlutzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I know my 88 4 banger has the m5od tranny which is the better one. I think yours should too.

92ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You said that it didn't appear to be leaking, but check the shift rail plugs on top of the tranny. My M50D had a gradual leak at these plugs that would have fried the tranny if I hadn't noticed. And while at it, you might as well check the tranny fluid level too. There should be a plug on the drivers side that you can unscrew. Dip a finger in to check the level and color. The M50D should have ATF, NOT gear oil.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals