• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger Running hot after new sensors

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It does not make a big enough difference between 180 and 200 degrees to even measure the mileage change. Its so miniscule that its pointless to worry about the few minutes at a 15 degree difference. If you were talking 130 and 210, it would be a little more significant but its still such a small change in mileage that you probably couldnt measure it in a full single digit on one tank.
Yes, that is true in moderate weather conditions.

A t-stat controls/sets the low operating temp of an engine, so a working t-stat can never cause over heating.
Cooling systems are designed for high outside temperature operation, 100+deg, so unless the design is bad an engine shouldn't over heat driving across Death Valley in the Summer, may run warmer but not over heat, that's with a 160, 180 or 192 t-stat.
The t-stat is there to prevent under temp engine operation.
If the outside temp is 0deg, the cooling system can lower the engine temp significantly, the t-stat is there to prevent this "over cooling".
At 0deg engine with a 180 t-stat would run just above 180deg, with a 192 t-stat just above 192deg.

Since engines are designed based on a specific operating temp range, 200-220deg, all the components are setup for that range, including the oil system and combustion mix.
All engine oil viscosity is measured at 212deg, so 30w is 30w at 212deg, at 180 it might be 40w, not a big deal but not nothing either.

Running an engine below optimum temperature, on purpose, just doesn't make sense, lubrication and mileage are both negatively effected, granted as you said not much.
But there is no benefit to run at a lower operating temp, so only a downside no upside.

If you are after a horsepower increase then running at a lower temp will help, the intake is heated by the engine, lower engine temp = lower intake temp.
Rule of thumb is 5 deg cooler intake temp/air mix = 1% more horsepower
The lower temp does come with what was said earlier, lower mileage and lubrication, but if you are after horsepower then mileage is not a concern, lol.

Last edited:

petemaresco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Great info man thank u. I'm happy to say that I fixed the problem (the lower sensor/switch was bad). I cleaned up the old switch and reinstalled it, and immediately the truck went back to normal. I made it from Tampa Fl to Austin Tx with a heavy load no problem. I was getting between 17-20 mpg hwy which seems low, but considering I had the truck weighted down as much as I did, I'd say that's pretty good. So, I'm pleased.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good news, that was a long drive :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals