• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 B2 diesel build thread

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well now that the ranger is out of the shop. Its time to figure out what I'm going to do with the old 89 Bronco II. So back story I started this project pretty much 4 years ago now I guess. Bought a none running 79 Mercedes 300D. When I went to look at it, the lady said the return lines were so badly rotted that it leaked fuel to bad and she parked it, Being in winter in western Montana, I didn't want to try and start the car to see because I could see the fuel lines were not connected any more because they were rotted so bad. Well after winching the car up on the trailer. The lady came back out and told me that she couldn't let me leave with out telling me info on the car. She told me she had been starting the engine using ether for the last year and half. Well already paid for it and it strapped to the trailer already and a signed Bill of sale with a sold as is and signed by me and the seller there wasn't much I could do. Only reason I was buying the car was for the engine.... I figured well I guess ill find out. I ordered a Small block ford adaptor for it.
Already have a 4.2 M5R2 and a NP205 for it. I rushed getting the engine into the B2 not knowing if this is going to work or not. Well she was right, 95+ on a hot summer day when I finally got everything together. (At the time I was working in Alaska 3 weeks on 3 weeks off so from middle of winter to July Doesn't take long when I was gone for work for almost a month) Would not start with out ether.... You live and learn right. I'm a heavy equipment diesel mechanic so I figured Mercedes OM617 a rebuild kit should be cheap. Well I was very wrong.... Even though This same engine has been used for 50 years over sea's and put in everything from cars to trucks. Parts are very expensive for it and the covid did not help either. I should of just bought everything then because the same kit is almost $1000 bucks more now. Well I really need to decide what to do with it. So Hopefully Pistons are still ok, if not there available, liners are available and I would rather go that route So I know everything is standard sizes, can have the deck resurfaced and the head gone through. and just go from there I guess. Idk, This OM617 is cool, End of the world prepper stuff. Manual kill, you can push start it if needed. To be truthful I was pretty fed up with it, But getting the ranger going has got me more in the right mindset I guess. Pulled it out from under cover and brought it into the shop.

I'm really trying to decide how much I want to do to it. haha I have a D44 with 513s and a spool in it. since I narrowed that last one and it went pretty smooth I'm thinking about narrowing this one, go with a jeep long arm/radius arm, instead of the 3rd link Like i did on my ranger. I have the D44 on my axle jig table right now. So I'm thinking anyways. Need to get my 4.0 done and then Ill start on the list on the B2.

Attachments

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Watching this thread. Does the OM-617 fit behind the radiator with a mechanical fan?

-Curious to see what MPG you get with it.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Watching this thread. Does the OM-617 fit behind the radiator with a mechanical fan?

-Curious to see what MPG you get with it.
It does not fit with the stock mechanical fan. I'm going to redo what I did the first time. I do not like that I cut so much of the core support out. I'm gonna put an uncut one in it and I'm ordering a V8 swap radiator that tucks into the core support and I'm going to try that. I'm going to have to run electric fans no matter what I do. I might have to only run a pusher fan also, I'm not 100%. I think I can get away with one pusher and one puller but I'm not sure if I have enough room for the puller. Well have to see.

Everyone says different about MPG. If its in the 20s ill be happy. But well just have to see I guess.

Last edited:

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well I lucked out. A guy in town had a 84, that go parked because the rear end went out. Been sitting for 2 years put a battery on it and cranked it for 30 seconds and it started right up. So I wont have to mess with rebuilding an engine right now. This 84 is a better swap, its newer and a true turbo'd OM617. My 79 which is a in between year has a weird turbo on it and is different than the 80+ ones. Got it pushed infront of the bronco for now.

I started working on the body mounts. I had to do a 3in body lift to fit the engine. All i did was lift the body up and put the spacers in there, I didn't bolt anything down. I started bolting the rear down and work my way forward with new bushings from Duff. I forgot how rusty this frame is in some areas. I'm gonna have to repair some. olwell. I cleaned out the cab, found some parts that I had ordered that i need now.

Attachments

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Dude that’s gonna be a sweet build! I’m trying to get all the parts for mine in… been waiting lol should be any day now!

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
well progress has been slow. but with the wife back to work for the school year, Ive got more time now. Summers are busy with summer plans, and I prefer shop work in the winter anyways, days are getting shorter and weather is getting cooler. I Finished cutting off the core support. Ordered a new one, since none of the spot welds i cut off would line up at all. I'm going to bolt the core support on so If i have to pull the engine I can, other wise this OM617 Doesn't come out. It was quite the wiggle show to get it in there, and its impossible to pull it out with the transmission attracted and that wont be an issue now. Figured I might as well start fresh. Ill get the motor pulled out and then get the other one pulled. fab the core support for the new radiator and get it back in its home. I have to fix the drivers side motor mount, shouldn't be a big deal and then get everything hooked up. And then decide on what I want to do for suspension. I really want to SAS with leaf springs well see anyways. I have to get this one going and running good. I would drive it right now if I could. I want to pull the cab off the ranger and swap the good cab I have on to it. Ive got quite the projects ahead of me.

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
What are you unsure about? haha Yeah its a mess. Idk I rushed it together the first time... Plan is to pull the engine, power wash everything. I don't know why I thought that cross bar for the radiator was a good idea the first time.....Seems pretty stupid now that i look at it years later. I started this project idk close to 5 years ago..... I should of went a different route really, The 80s OM617 is a dinosaur. And the company I bought the adaptor from no longer is a thing and no one makes a ford adaptor anymore. I could probably sell it but I have a good engine now, so I might as well finish it. There's a lot I am redoing this time.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i am strill calculating.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
The 617 isn't too bad.

At one point or another engines run their course....just like everything else.

BUT......solid base fundamentals are easily enhanceable with emerging technology.

The reason I chose and tolerate my slow stinky noisy clattering ass diesel, is purely due to cost.

and ease of repair. combined with reliability...

plus I have fueling options I can easily produce myself..

Since it is still part of active service vehicles in the US military, parts will remain available for quite some time.....and past my lifetime.

It has the most types...and cheapest sources of transmissions and transfer cases available...plus the simplest strongest transmissions.

The problem .... the super cheap and easily procured part of its life cycle appears to have passed by...for now anyway. And while cost is a relative thing, my time for willful implementation of stuff is waning.

The cool thing....is the current crop of technology....is going to put me back into a pushrod spark ignition 600 HP small block....that I can easily make fuel for myself....

So I won't miss this old diesel at all

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well got my old engine out, pressure washed everything off. Looks clean now! Got my body mounts all on, Its not bolted solid yet. The body moved around a little bit. so I'm not sure how square it is. Everything is together anyways, I have a couple mounts that are almost rusted through. I make new ones of them after I get this thing going again. they will work good enough now. Got my new core support bolted in, its pretty much done, need to buy some lock nuts and new bolts but its all together. Got my new motor almost ready to be pulled out of the car. So my next days off Ill have the engine out and start prep on that. I have to cut part of the notch the oil pan to fit the ford starter. No big deal. My HD motor mounts came in, so Ill get them in.

ran into some issues with the radiator I ordered. First time around I used the stock Mercedes radiator but it was just to big, and had extra ports on it that could leak. The one that a guy told me worked good was a 66 mustang radiator, well Id have to cut up the core support to make it fit and I really don't want to do that this time. So I'm going to send that back and I ordered a 4 core thats a V8 swap radiator that fits in the core support. Cross my fingers that it works. I almost ordered it over this mustang one, but its more cutting than what needs to happen. Hopefully this one works with the stock mercedes fan also. Have high hopes there because I would rather not, run an electric fan if I don't need to. I understand why electric fans are better but I would rather just not if I don't have to. Moving forward anyways! The core support was easier than I thought it was.

Played around with round head lights. Its more work than I want to deal with right now. I have some fancy new LED ones that I was going to put in my ranger Ill just use on this thing.

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well its full steam head, feels like I move forward and back at the same time. The Mustang radiator is a no go. I don't want to cut this core support up. I cut up the last one, and I really want to keep this one as hole as i can. I ordered a V8 swap 4 core from northern radiator. Its flush in the core support. I really hope its big enough. Well see I guess. I was really hoping I could run the stock Mercedes fan. Thats a hard no. I can move the engine back but then I won't be able to remove the valve cover.... Since i'm a diesel mechanic I'm holding firm to this. So well I guess that means I have to run electric fans. The problem is I'm going to have to run pushers and pullers. I only have 2 3/4 inches of clearest. So i cant run a big main puller. I hope its enough. Biggest I can fit is a 14 in 1150 CFM fan. and I can fit 2 10 inch pushers on the other side that are 2250 CFM. Well just have to see. Other issue is the radiator cap is in the way of the power steering pump..... Not a huge issue, I was already thinking of going hydro boost with this thing and the volvo pump would work great in this thing. and I could delete the vacuum pump which are known to fail and cause engine issues. so that would be good to delete. Just means more work. olwell! Next days off, I hope to get the core support painted, coolant lines ran. And then play with the electric fans and see whats going to work.

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well still fighting a radiator issue. The V8 swap radiator is fighting me. The upper radiator hose is at to much of a bend and off set. Everything Ive done, hasn't worked..... I'm thinking of just going to the radiator shop and having one built, with the right ports on the right side. Idk, at this point, I just don't know what to do, The radiator is lower than the upper hose connection point on the engine. I have to be able to get the air out of it and to fill the system up. I'm really at a lost. I guess ill just move forward with wiring and the other stuff for now and see what a radiator shop says.... i'm not sure. I have made some progress. Got my core support painted and bolted on, glow plug wiring removed and new harness built and installed.

Brain storming on radiator hose connection. Idk, Like I said above. its just not at a very friendly location......

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well I didn't get much time this week, I had to work extra for training. I was able to drop the radiator off at the radiator shop, still waiting on what that is going to cost me. The guy was highly recommended but really rough shop. Idk I dropped it off yesterday. Ill give him a call tomorrow and see what he came up with. Should be able to make smoke hopefully next week. I really hope anyways. Well see anyways!

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Just in case anyone was wondering. A 97 V6 M5R2 is 27.5” long vs M5R1 which is 29” inches long.

91 M5R1/bw1354 is 42” inches long.
97 M5R2/NP205 is 39.5 inches long.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals