• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 BII

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mine has a little idle hiccup about 30-45 seconds after a cold start. It will run rough for about 10-15 seconds and then smooths out. If I start it and drive off immediately it acts like yours does.
The only thing I haven't replaced that I think would cause that is the O2 sensor, because I can't get it loose. It's worse in cooler/cold weather.
Where might I find the O2 sensor, on the exhaust somewhere? And is it difficult to replace? The last few weeks we have been seeing some cooler weather in the mornings, about 70° then I park in the garage at school. Might be what's causing it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine is on the exhaust under the passenger floor pan. It sticks up and I can't any leverage on it. There is probably a tool that works for removing it but I don't have it.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mine is on the exhaust under the passenger floor pan. It sticks up and I can't any leverage on it. There is probably a tool that works for removing it but I don't have it.
Ok, I'll take a look eventually, maybe Friday. Thanks for the help.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got some investigating done today! Went outside with the intent of tightening each of my belts, I noticed one was really loose (they were all a little bit loose) the other day so I went ahead and tightened them all. While I was doing that I noticed something strange... I had a hose that was nearly split in two. It was a small vacuum hose, that means I've been running with a vacuum leak. I know it hasn't been split for long, last time I looked in the engine bay I would've seen it. So for now I put some electrical tape over it to keep it at least slightly sealed. After doing that I decided to look for that O2 sensor that Jerry told me about, found it easy right where you told me it was. Don't really see how it would be hard to get to, but I haven't tried to loosen it so I don't know. While I was under the truck I did a quick lookaround just to make sure everything was in order. Was looking in the rear just to make sure everything was fine. I looked at the passenger side and everything looked fine. I got to the driver side and something looked off. I'm missing my bump stop... Ever since I got the new wheels and tires a year or so ago, on the driver side rear when I hit a bump, the top of my fender has dug into my sidewall. I always figured it was because there was more weight (me) on that side of the vehicle... Guess not lol. I was on a roll so I decided to try and fix my windshield washer jets. When I painted the truck I didn't put tape over them so they've been clogged and hadn't worked since. After some finagling I got them working pretty good. Ever since I got the truck my rear door has been off a little bit. Had to put duct tape over the light button because the driver side never latched right. Well I remember a few months ago I was messing with it and thought I got the driver side latching right but wasn't sure so I left the tape. Well I did fix it then, so I went ahead and pulled the tape off in confidence. DS latched just fine but the PS didn't. Have to push on the PS really hard and it'll latch, I'm happy with it for now lol. After all that I decided to start the truck up and make sure everything was fine. Started it up and it ran fine (fine as in the idle was back to normal, which seemed odd as I hadn't done anything to fix that). Went over to the engine bay while everything was running to make sure my belts were fine and realized I forgot to put the air filter hose back on the throttle body. Shut the truck off and put that on. Started it up and the idle was funny again (how it's been the last couple weeks). Not really sure what that means. I would've been getting more air without the filter connected, so could it have something to do with the O2 sensor like you said Jerry?

Edit: Thought I would be able to find a stock bump stop online but I can't seem to. Anyone know where I can get one? Or would it be better to just get two new rear bump stops?

The vacuum hose Ts off on the DS and runs over to something on the PS, not sure what it is. I'm posting a picture so you guys can see. Anyways, anybody know where I can get a new one?

Last edited:

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just drove to town and it seems the idle issue is gone. I suppose the vacuum leak was causing it, still need to get a new hose if anyone knows where I can get one? It looks like the one on it now has a special fitting or something so idk if I can just use regular line. Also, Anyone know where I can get a factory bump stop? Might pull one off the wrecked 86 if they are the same?
Lately my tool box which weighs about 50 pounds with my jack, tool set, and a few other things has been out of my truck. Took it out when my window was shattered and never put it back in. Well, I put it back in the rear comparment yesterday when I got done working and now driving feels slightly smoother. Maybe my rear leafs are too stiff and that extra bit of weight helps it out? Looking at the 87 and 86 they don't seem to have as many leafs in the rear as my the 89 does which would mean the 89 has heavier duty aka stiffer leafs, right?
That's it for today, any info appreciated, thanks guys (and gals I suppose).

Do these seem like good bump stops?
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/mobile/1983-97-Ford-Bronco-ll-Ranger-Bump-Stops-Stud-Mount-Black-Pair/productinfo/93090/

Edit: I thought more about it and my spare donut has been loose back there so that could've been causing bumps to feel harsher. And my rear hatch never latched right so when I hit a bump it could've shook and made it seem harsher. Idk... I over think things lol.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I had trouble with that same vacuum line on my '90 (it provides vacuum to the fresh air/recirculated air door). I was able to get replacement tubing for it at Autozone. I would think O'Reillys or someplace similar would have it also.

The rubber end pieces can be removed from the old tubing without too much persuasion. I forgot what I used to attach them to the new line (if I glued them on or if friction was enough to hold them). RTV or contact or rubber cement would probably work if needed.

I would suggest hitting up a junkyard for the bump stops. (I can't recall) If you have a D35 axle (or plan to install one), get the bumpstops off any '91-'97 TTB Ranger or Explorer (the driverside bumpstop is shaped different for the D35 housing).

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had trouble with that same vacuum line on my '90 (it provides vacuum to the fresh air/recirculated air door). I was able to get replacement tubing for it at Autozone. I would think O'Reillys or someplace similar would have it also.

The rubber end pieces can be removed from the old tubing without too much persuasion. I forgot what I used to attach them to the new line (if I glued them on or if friction was enough to hold them). RTV or contact or rubber cement would probably work if needed.

I would suggest hitting up a junkyard for the bump stops. (I can't recall) If you have a D35 axle (or plan to install one), get the bumpstops off any '91-'97 TTB Ranger or Explorer (the driverside bumpstop is shaped different for the D35 housing).
No D35 and no plans for one. I have a parts 86 BII so I'm gonna check on it to see if the bump stop is the same and probably use that one. Can I just use regular vacuum hose like what you would get on a spool?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I guess if you can find a more-traditional type of vacuum hose that fits over the fittings, I don't see a reason why you couldn't use it.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I guess if you can find a more-traditional type of vacuum hose that fits over the fittings, I don't see a reason why you couldn't use it.
I meant could I use the traditional hose with the fittings from the old hose? Sorry for the confusion.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Had some good and bad luck today. Went out to the 87 and tried to pull the bump stop off but didn't have any luck. Got the bolt halfway off and now the whole bump stop spins, tried holding it with a crescent wrench but I still couldn't get it. I'm not sure it would've been long enough anyways, didn't seem to be by the looks of it. While I was down there I noticed it has a 5 leaf pack but they seem to sag alot less than the ones on the 89. I think the 89 was used to tow at some point in it's life. Might try to swap em one day, idk. Well, on to the good news. There was a vacuum hose big enough and long enough on the 87 to replace the split one on the 89. Does it matter how big the hose is? The old one was really small with adapters on the ends so it could fit on the nipple. This one is big enough it doesn't need the adapters.

Forgot to mention I'm just gonna order some new bump stops online. Do these look like they'd work?
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/mobile/1983-97-Ford-Bronco-ll-Ranger-Bump-Stops-Stud-Mount-Black-Pair/productinfo/93090/

Keep remembering things that I forgot lol. I've noticed that there are some rubber pieces that go around my headlights housing on the 89. They are old and rotted looking and I don't think they are doing their job. I adjusted my headlights a while back to what I thought was a good setting, but driving home in the dark the other day I couldn't see anything. Headlights were pointing straight down pretty much. I'm thinking those rubber pieces are supposed to keep the headlights in place when you adjust then. Anyways, does anybody know where I can get some new rubber pieces? I don't think they're a part of the headlights housing.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A piece of plain hose that fits straight onto the nipples is what I was talking about. I don't see why it won't work.

Doesn't say how tall those bump stops are... I've seen ones like those that are too tall for the front (without a suspension lift anyway), you might be riding almost about where they'd be touching the axle.

The rubber pieces around the headlights are not something that supports the housing, they just keep water from getting down past the housing (the headlights have screws and tabs to hold them in place). If they are moving around, something is loose.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A piece of plain hose that fits straight onto the nipples is what I was talking about. I don't see why it won't work.

Doesn't say how tall those bump stops are... I've seen ones like those that are too tall for the front (without a suspension lift anyway), you might be riding almost about where they'd be touching the axle.

The rubber pieces around the headlights are not something that supports the housing, they just keep water from getting down past the housing (the headlights have screws and tabs to hold them in place). If they are moving around, something is loose.
I got confused before about the hose, but the one on there is working for now so I'm gonna roll with it lol.

There are a few other options for bump stops on the jbg website. Some have numbers, such as 2.5 or 3.5 in the name, I assume those are the amount of lift on the vehicle. I have 0 lift which is why I figured the ones without a number would work. Do you have any suggestions for ones that you know would work?

I guess I'll have to take a look at the headlights then. When adjusting the headlights, am I correct in saying that the entire headlight housing moves? I believe it does, I remember when I adjusted them the whole thing moved.

To make things simpler, do you know how long the factory rear bump stops are? Just reread what you said and realized you mentioned the front. I'm only replacing the rear bump stops, so the fronts will stay the same.

Last edited:

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know I keep bothering everybody about the bump stop but I'd like to order one by the end of today so it'll come by the end of the week. Anybody know what length the stock rear ones are or do you have a link to some that you've used? If I don't get a response then I'll just go outside and measure the PS one and hope they're the same.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Both rear bumpstops are the same. Those JBG ones would also likely be fine on the rear (there's more room between the axle and the frame at the rear axle than the front).

Yes, the headlight adjuster screws adjust the position of the headlight housing itself.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Both rear bumpstops are the same. Those JBG ones would also likely be fine on the rear (there's more room between the axle and the frame at the rear axle than the front).

Yes, the headlight adjuster screws adjust the position of the headlight housing itself.
Thanks for all your help but I'm gonna go ahead and measure the one on it and get some that length. Would rather be sure than order those and hope lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals