• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 ranger 4x4. aka the rattlin ranger Build.. pic heavy

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow, you need to ditch those auto hubs, I broke mine with stock 29in tires

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

:icon_thumby:

i use a shear when possible, it makes a nice soft edge with minimal paint issues.

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow, you need to ditch those auto hubs, I broke mine with stock 29in tires
Oh trust me they will be gone soon it was just time for the 28 to come out and the lift to go on. lock-right and the jeep hubs are the next for the front

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

:icon_thumby:

i use a shear when possible, it makes a nice soft edge with minimal paint issues.
I used a air chizel with a shear type bit, it worked really good but it did have a really long stroke so when I hit the weird angles in 3rd gen ranger fenders we had to break out a cut off

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well since my last post I got my trans cross member fixed for now. Im still thinking about going auto when I do the 4.0 swap is the auto trans mount different? I also got the front set up and kinda alined. It was way off I had to do some spring shims to get the height set. Anyway so today I got started on my front bumper build. I got my sheet metal bender done this week so it was time to try it out and "brake" it in. :headbang:
first I will post a few pics of my bender

that is 3/16th mild steel 3inches wide took a lil bit but it got it done just a test!

Now for the bumper first few bends I forgot to take a pic of the flat steel before I started it oh well I have a paper template if anyone wants a pic

The center part has plans for a winch so its going to sit a little lower in the center part but thats all I have for now. Had to wait for the rest of my steel.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
few more update pics, I don't know if I like the look of the middle now it might get changed.

I ran out of wire in the welder or it would have all been welded

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not much to update here the bumper project got put on hold. Im waiting to get some new tool toys !! Over my Thanksgiving break from work I figured I would try and fix the fuel gauge. It really hasn't ever worked since I got the truck but never bothered me much. Till I ran outta gas with it still saying I had a 1/4 tank. Lucky for me I just happened to have a gallon in the bed. Hows that for luck. I pulled the bed off to check the plug on top the tank. I was pretty dirty cleaned it but didn't fix the problem It seemed to help a little though.

So what do you guys think sending unit? I think I remember seeing a post about cleaning the sensor in the tank or something I don't remember if that was for a ranger or not. But the gauge seems to read high meaning at empty it still reads 1/4 and if I fill the tank it will read way past full. Anyway a few pics for entertainment!

before

After

Making the best use of a engine hoist

Oh I also forgot I had this lil guy, saving it for a rainy day the 4.0 might just get a little forced induction

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
little update no pics to prove it yet but started a cut and turn on the extra set of beams I had. I figured what the heck why not try it and see what happens. Pics should happen tomorrow !

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I remembered the camera tonight and snapped a few. Did a lil :icon_welder: with the new to me welder. I got a Miller Maxstar85s been a long time since I have burnt a rod. I had hopes of getting an inverter for the truck and have a small package welder for trail repairs. Well after looking I found a $850 inverter that might be big enough but not sure. Dual battery's would be a must and a hi output Alt. after all that is added up. Its probably more the one of the welders made for that purpose. Oh well I now have a pocket welder lol

Ya, thats the front seat!

Anyway back to the subject, so I took some ideas from the Zimmerman Ex. On building a jig to keep things kinda inline. just took some scrap angle and drilled holes to use the sway-bar mount holes and another for the axle pivot. After I had the beam mounted in the jig I marked the pivot hole then measured up 4inches and drilled my 2nd hole for after the cut. All that got me to this point here.

The top was just about perfect to weld back in place in the jig with no filler so that part got welded and then the fun started on making the filler plate. and bending in into place.

after all that got it welded and ended up with this

I quit for the night tomorrow I will make some fish plates up and burn them on and then its beam swap time !:icon_cheers:

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Dont most people cut.qt the ball joint? Hows that gonna work out for the axle shaft?

olranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bad ass i like that break, can you post some pics of it or give a break down for those who want to build on ourselfs

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals