• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

-89 Ranger, no crank, changed most stuff.

Creekroad Factorium

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Might be the wrong section, but here we go.

When I turn the key I get a few clicks as the startermotor want to turn but its powerless.
If I hotwire from positive on battery to the post on the starterrelay the engine roars ro life easily.

I have changed to a new battery, starterengine, starter relay and ran an extra ground from battery to the relay.

I haven’t measured the current to the relay on the wire that comes from the key. That said I have tried to ”hotwire” the relay by cable from the battery and get the same ”clicking” noise from the starter (and relay), but no turn.

As I pulled apart the plastic under the steeringcolumn a wire fell out. Had to run so didn’t check it more today. What does it do?

Any ideas how I get the truck sorted?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Your jumping from the battery to the starter post tells you what is wrong I think. Just to make sure here are some things to try;

Take a small jumper wire and WITH THE TRUCK IN PARK take this jumper wire and touch the large terminal that goes to the battery to the small terminal on the starter relay. The relay should click, the starter should turn. If it clicks but the starter won't do anything then;

Take your large jumper cable and jump from the battery + terminal to the large post on the relay that goes to the starter. I think you did this before and the starter turned correct?

Then move the large jumper cable from the large post on the starter relay that goes to the starter, and move it across to the large post that goes to the battery. Then take your small jumper and jump the small terminal on the relay to the battery + terminal like you did before. If it cranks over, then you know that battery cable that goes from the battery + to the large terminal on the relay is bad.

Creekroad Factorium

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've done all you write apart from the last tip.
Gonna find my good jumpercables tomorrow and see if I can't find the fault in the battery->starter-relay cable.
Thanks for the input!

Any ideas about the cable under the steeringwheel featured in the picture?

Creekroad Factorium

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got it solved.
Last piece in the puzzle was a faulty batterycable. Manged to jerry-rig past it with an old jumpercable while I wait for my store to get some cables for me.
Good times, and thanks again fraklin2 for the input.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals