• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 stubby ranger build thread

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well noticed my tire was a little close to the flat bed and leaning pretty hard. Well I'm not sure when i did it, but yup. Autozone had some in stock. knock off of belltech 6400s. Worked out just down a few hours.

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
next week Ill start on some more upgrades my volve steering pump came in! So that should be a good time! Looking forward to this one and see how it works.!

Picked up the boys from the baby sitters and when to check the chickens and turned around and they had my rock lights on. haha

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Don't have much to update. I got my pump mount built and installed. All I have to do install the new power steering box, plumb the new pump which I already made lines for. and get a smaller belt. Ive been busy trying to get ready for winter. I have my B2 project I want to get going on. Just not enough time in the day.

Picked up a Big bearing early bronco 9in also. I think I'm going to build it and swap it into the ranger. Not that there is anything wrong with my 8.8 but the 9in is narrower than my 8.8. And It would shave a few inches off the sides.

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Don't have much to update on, other than I got a diesel heater for the roof top tent. I'm going to do an overland event at the end of the month. I'm taking the kiddos so I need some heat. This thing should be more than enough! Pretty cool unit really. It sits out side and you run heat ducking up to the tent. Should work good.

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well went to the overland event. Only ford there. lol got tired of hearing F^<king ford Ranger. This time it was 95% Toyotas. All the same. Normally It doesn't bother me, but it bugged me. We did a run, up to one of the mountain peaks. They cut my ranger out of the video and highlighted everything else. My ranger was huge and looks rugged. But it wasn't a Toyota.... Idk, bugged me. Olwell I guess. I've had my fords for years and take pride that I've built everything on this thing. Down to narrowing the axle myself.... I mean no one does that stuff anymore. That's why the Toyotas and jeeps are so popular you can buy anything in the world to do whatever for them. Not many people put an ex-cab on a bronco II frame. lol and there isn't a kit to do it. haha Enough of me ranting. lol

Used my diesel heater for one night. Had it on setting 3 out of 6 and the tent was 120*s plus lol had to have it on 1 and have a flap open all night. It straight up worked great. Ran for over 10 hours on a couple quarts of diesel and didn't drain my battery down also. Pretty cool worked great. and it was cold, rained and the wind blew all night. I had to leave early because it was just too cold for my 3 year old to hang out, with nothing to get out of the weather in. Went on an early morning run with the event and it was snowing up high, straight coming down really. Broke my rear shock mount off. Only thing I haven't touched in years. lol olwell I was going to redo it this winter anyways. haha

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
People that just bolt on parts don’t understand or appreciate an original, fabricated build. As far as the Ford Ranger thing, we’re never going to get away from it. Just smile and move on.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
People that just bolt on parts don’t understand or appreciate an original, fabricated build. As far as the Ford Ranger thing, we’re never going to get away from it. Just smile and move on.
Yeah, I don't know why it bothered me so much. Usually it doesn't, must of been the video that i was excited to see. It just sucked when they cut my ranger out of it to high light the Toyotas. olwell haha Id love to come to the TRS events but man that is just such a long drive. lol I'm almost canada on the west side. lol

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm with ya and even further away, a couple years ago one wasn't "quite" as far away... I pretty much just offroad with my friend group that can get pretty expansive in some times... all my friends are old enough to appreciate anything anymore, there's usually some really cool stuff, stock stuff and stuff inbetween... some of the most fun I've had is stock suburbans with like 33" tires...

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
There have always been groups that put down outsiders, 90% of the time it's just playful banters but there are the 10%ers. I suppose it's more than 10% these days with the Jeep and Toyotas owners but I think it's more of a "look how much $$$ I put in my rig to wheel" and if your rig isn't newer and have tons of aftermarket parts on it then your lame kind of thing. Meh, maybe I'm wrong. But with all the types of rigs I wheeled and wheeled with this seems more prevalent.

Nice work on the rig BTW.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
I'm with ya and even further away, a couple years ago one wasn't "quite" as far away... I pretty much just offroad with my friend group that can get pretty expansive in some times... all my friends are old enough to appreciate anything anymore, there's usually some really cool stuff, stock stuff and stuff inbetween... some of the most fun I've had is stock suburbans with like 33" tires...
maybe next year, If I stay at my current job. I will be able to take the time off. Well see I guess.

I'm pretty much the only one left in my group of friends. I'm going to try the bronco group next. All my friends have moved away. I cant say much. I moved away for a while and came back home after a few years. and I've been working out of town so I'm only home half the year. I agree, the funs times i had was with my bronco II on bald 31s and my buddys xj with ok 33s. haha just out of high school and broke. lol

There have always been groups that put down outsiders, 90% of the time it's just playful banters but there are the 10%ers. I suppose it's more than 10% these days with the Jeep and Toyotas owners but I think it's more of a "look how much $$$ I put in my rig to wheel" and if your rig isn't newer and have tons of aftermarket parts on it then your lame kind of thing. Meh, maybe I'm wrong. But with all the types of rigs I wheeled and wheeled with this seems more prevalent.

Nice work on the rig BTW.
It just bothered me, because I spent $120 bucks to go to this event, and I new better, the other one was $40 buck another hour away and I really should of went to it, but with taking my little guys there, I just decided on the closer one, and they were more of an overland thing, not an off-road park were there was going to be full on rock bouncers at. Its much more of party hard place. I was worried about my little guys running around. but I should of just went to that one, because I understand why they spilt now. Olwell i know now. I defiantly 100% agree with you. I don't know how people do it. With what I did with my ranger over the last 2 years I bought stuff on sale, but I wasn't going to live with it. I opened the check book, put probably close to 5k into it in just parts and if I hadn't done all the work myself it would of been double that at lease.... Idk, Ill never understand it I guess. Its why I like my RBVs. lol There just aren't many of us left.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well I don't have much to update on. I installed my new Redhead steering box, sure made a big difference in how this thing drove. Had to replace one of the TREs also. I don't know why I have the steering near flat and I still go through that high angle TRE once a year. I don't know. I need to get my rear shock mounts welded back on, I only have 3 shocks on it. my buddy says he could feel it, but he hasn't road in it in years. Its completely different now. Idk I need to get it on but I really cant tell its not there lol maybe its a little rougher? haha Its taken a back burner since the diesel bronco is on my hit list. I drive the ranger every day I'm home from work. Need to change the oil and the transmission oil. No big plans right now. Just going to drive it for now. Probably should pull my tent off, but I should of done that a month ago. lol

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Installed my JB shifter yesterday. They don't have a bolt on kit, I had to mod the bracket that bolts to the transfer case adapter. Olwell its close enough. I don't like that the shifter is the same height as the transmission shifter haha but olwell. I have to drive this thing on monday to class over one of the mountain pass and I'm not getting on the ground to shift it into 4 high. haha so this will work for now.

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Going through my thread. I didn't put a good story behind my rig. I guess I can do better on how this ranger began life as a 89 Bronco II. My grand father bought it almost new in 90. I had a much a build thread on BII.org back in the day. Which is gone now, but I do have some old pictures of what I started with. It started with a 3 inch body lift and bald 31s. And this is how it sits today.

I really don't know why I wanted a ranger so bad. I loved the B2. I still have the body. Its pretty much gone. I just decided I wanted a ranger and why not use my already SAS'd frame. I through it together for a mud bog, offroad thing. Did that, really didn't drive it after that. used it to pull logs around the place. Tried to sell it, that was just a joke. So I decided to keep it and fix it again. And now I don't know what Id do with out it. I have another cab for it, because this cab has some bad rot in it, I didn't know about. but thats another project. I really want to 5.0 swap it or something one day. Well see. Its an ongoing project!

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
that thing is definitely kewlzz.

the toyota and jeep guys dont like my junk either.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals