• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'92 ranger 4.0 5spd whiny noise

ranger_dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1992 ranger, 4.0, 5spd, 4wd, electric transfer case shifter, 2nd engine and new clutch put in at about 120K? 130K?, transmission and transfer case never touched (except for the $%^%%$$ electric shifter).

Fairly suddenly, I hear not quite a whine, not quite a whir, from the tranny in 3rd gear and in 5th.

The tone seems to be the same for a given speed whether its in 3rd or 5th, so I'm guessing output shaft front bearing?

If I give it just enough gas to 'coast' the noise disappears, and varies in intensity with load.

I've almost got 250,000 on it so what I'm really asking is, has anyone ever had a similar experience, and how many miles might I squeeze out of it?

TIA,
Dave

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A whine is the only warning you'll get of an impending transmission failure.

As for how long it will last, get your dice out and roll. Anywhere from 5 miles to 100,000.

The next "warning" might be a loud crunch followed by a stranded truck.

The mainshaft (I really don't like calling it an output shaft -- and if you ever see the guts of one of these, you'll see why) has a bearing between it and the input shaft. It's not attached to either. But this means that when it fails, it's quite likely to rip up both. It may already have done so.

There are other potential faults that can cause this noise -- such as any of the countershaft bearings.

The usual reason for this failure is oil starvation.

ranger_dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A whine is the only warning you'll get of an impending transmission failure.

As for how long it will last, get your dice out and roll. Anywhere from 5 miles to 100,000.

The next "warning" might be a loud crunch followed by a stranded truck.

The mainshaft (I really don't like calling it an output shaft -- and if you ever see the guts of one of these, you'll see why) has a bearing between it and the input shaft. It's not attached to either. But this means that when it fails, it's quite likely to rip up both. It may already have done so.

There are other potential faults that can cause this noise -- such as any of the countershaft bearings.

The usual reason for this failure is oil starvation.

Thanks- is a quarter-million about all you can get out of one of these trannies, or do they go further fairly often?

Trucks not in great shape, so I'm doing the whole gamble-it'll-keep-running/drive-it-to-death/price-out-a-rebuild thing.

But its not in horrible shape, either.

I assume this is the M5OD trans, do they tend to be 'rebuildable' within a reasonable price?

Dave

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks- is a quarter-million about all you can get out of one of these trannies, or do they go further fairly often?

Trucks not in great shape, so I'm doing the whole gamble-it'll-keep-running/drive-it-to-death/price-out-a-rebuild thing.

But its not in horrible shape, either.

I assume this is the M5OD trans, do they tend to be 'rebuildable' within a reasonable price?

Dave
250,000 miles on one tranny??? You're doing well...rebuild it now or it'll only be more $$$ to rebuild when it blows. That should be the M5OD tranny.

ranger_dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
250,000 miles on one tranny??? You're doing well...rebuild it now or it'll only be more $$$ to rebuild when it blows. That should be the M5OD tranny.
I'm debating whether to fix it or drive it to death and get another vehicle.

I may just get another vehicle and set the ranger aside for a bit- it needs body mounts (get out the mig), the lifters are tapping again, and of course the qtr-panel rust, the windshield rust, etc.

These guys
http://usedautoparts.everdrive.com/PartDetails.aspx?sku=3221839&searchid=1433252
claim free shipping on their $700 3-year-warranty with no-mileage-restriction transmission.

Bogus?

BTW, checked the fluid today. Full. Looked like crap.

Dave

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals