• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 93 help

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Your list of issues just piles up... I don't envy you rust belt guys... you get a rig that looks decent but something completely random is rusted out, my '90 Ranger has been outside for the 24 years I've had it and it's perfectly fine...

Pulling the engine isn't too hard on these, neither is the trans if you have to get to a freeze plug... The V8 Explorer I just did a rebuild on? Screw that thing, you can see everything but you can't touch the things you need to...

Mikezx636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay, so yesterday was a good day. I’ll need to start a money spent parts list
$500 truck
$70 fuel pump assembly
$120 timing belt kit
$100 crank sensor
$30ish for coolant
Yesterday I went though this truck and replaced the crank sensor along with the timing belt. Still didn’t have spark or injector pluse (noid light) start checking for power at pcm it was there. Had a bright idea to dig around my car audio scrapes and build up a big 3 setup. Well I only set up grounds. My daughter was helping me and I was like you know what turn it over. Surprise it’s it fired up. Ran good. Started adding coolant while it was running then that’s when I noticed coolant leaking from the bell housing. So I guess next weekend I’ll pull the transmission. But I’m on the fence she wants to learn to drive it I’m wondering if I should put a new clutch in it now or leave the old one in so she can burn that one up.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Got ya, lack of coolant in the coolant, makes sense... Sounds like an inconsistent power or ground

I might look at the thickness of the clutch and make the call from there. I could get you a measurement on a known good clutch I have sitting around later.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, not the hardest thing to do either really, a 13mm ratcheting wrench makes the bellhousing bolts not too bad, wobbly head is nicer, if you hold your tongue right you can get even the top two bellhousing bolts out with that from the bottom... the clutch hydraulics aren't the most fun to deal with but as long as it's all working I wouldn't screw with it...

Mikezx636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I’ve got the tool including the 12point 12mm swivel impact socket for the driveshaft

Mikezx636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So not much work done on the ranger this weekend but I did manage to pick up a set of American racing billet wheels to get rid of the gm style ralley. Now sometime this week get some rubbers

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals