• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 ranger 3/4 ton sas with leaf leaf springs and v8 swap

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
its a perfect running 351 with a CARB! Im leavin it that way.
Damn right. Man I hate it when all knowing web wheelers try to tell someone how to do their shit.

Keep up the good work and build it the way you want it.

Oh and if you run the right carb you will never have fuel issues on any off camber or hill, that is until you lose oil pressure. Then who wants to keep it running anyway.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when its a 351 modified 400 big block it doesnt share the same bellhousing thanks though.

and on the carb vs efi thing to each his own i like the carb set up better when you do your v8 swap you can use what you want.
im not putting efi on the 351 so yall can get off that now. idc what your opinion is on efi and carb. its a perfect running 351 with a CARB! Im leavin it that way.

Its a 351 MODIFIED.
to be quite honest with you, if you want to get much help from this site, you best be dropping the attitude... acting like a smart mouth doesn't impress anyone on here... people are making polite suggestions to you, and you go mouthing off? not a good idea... the carb, i'll agree with everyone else, for 4x4ing, they are not the best, even trying to climb out of a mud hole or climb over a rock can run them dry... and i say this as someone who loves carbs... if i build a motor for anything but a 4x4, it's carbed...

as for the 20's again, not a good idea, but i will explain why, i assume you don't know, as i didn't know any of this when i was 19...

your footprint is the biggest thing for traction, the more surface area on something, the better your traction is, you can increase your footprint on your vehicle by adding wider tires, taller adds a little bit, but not as much as you would expect... lowering your tire pressure makes a big difference, as it bulges out on the side... when i drive to my OHV area, i run 35 in my truck, then drop down to 15 to wheel, never had ANY issues, next time i go, depending on the terrain, i may drop to 10...

you may think that footprint doesn't matter much when you are mudding, but the truth is, it matters more, because any texture that is at the bottom of your mud hole is going to be ripped off with wheel spin, if the pressure is low, the tire molds around the texture, if there is a small rock, it will mold around that too... which increases traction on all of your tires... if you try to get unstuck with a locked front and rear vehicle, with a 4x4 t-case and you only have one wheel with any traction, you are going to put a lot of stress on your t-case and diff, which could be why yours blew up (not saying it IS the reason) anyways, lowering pressure helps drastically...

NOW why for smaller rims, narrower ads more natural pressure against the bead, which will decrease the chance of popping a bead off, of course, but shorter rims will add more tire sidewall, which allows for more cussion for the said textures to be absorbed... if you run even 20 psi in some of those low profile tires, or even semi low profile tires you see on ricers, and run over a baseball sized rock or even a golfball sized rock near where the bead sits, the point of pressure will deflate around the rock, but because there isn't enough sidewall to take up the size of the obstacle, the object will hit the rim, and bend it, depending on how hard you hit it... now again, with mudding, there are VERY often big sharp rocks under the mud, that when you hit them your tires can spread around and absorb without issue, if your pressure and sidewalls are enough... there are often stumps in some of the mud pits i've been through...

again back to the traction issue, if your truck gets hung up on a sharp rock, not even a big one, and it's in front of your tire, and you go to dig your way through what you think is mud, that tire is going to get sliced open... where as a low pressure tire might grab and climb over...

i hope this information helps you, i honestly think 20" is too big, they will be hard to find tires to fit them, but i understand not liking lots of tire...

good luck with your build, it looks like a good one, i can't wait to see how it turns out, and welcome to the site

Last edited:

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i would keep those wheels you got on the 250 now, sucks that they are 16.5 but they look pretty bad ass and they wont cost you anything.

if it were me i would stick with the carb seeing how its all running, get it in there and see about an efi swap down the road

and as for shitting in a freazing out house, i dont think you will have to much problems seeing how you are in floridia.:icon_rofl:

oh and one more thing, the f250 might be shit boxed to you but the is one of the nicer (excluding restored) ones i have seen up here in ny, you should see what people are using to plow their driveways:shok:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
So whats the plans for the ole efi 302??
SVT

ranger302v8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
its not much of an attitude its just me tired of everyone telling me how i should build MY truck. didnt mean to sound like an attitude.

I am running the stock 16.5's on my truck for now just going to paint them to match the truck.

As for the 302 efi as soon as the 351 is in the truck and everything is hooked up and it runs and drives the 302 will be for sale i also have two transmissions for it and the electric t-case for it.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
its not much of an attitude its just me tired of everyone telling me how i should build MY truck
welcome to trs....or anywhere dude. if you want someone to give you a thumbs-up and a "hell-yeah" for doing things that don't deserve it. i suggest hiring people that you can pay to ignore reason and pat you on the back
if you were at the auto parts store and set down an oil filter and a gallon of antifreeze and proceeded to tell the cashier "i'm going to change my oil". you can't yell at the parts guys with "its my truck" when he says "uh, that's a bad idea". remember that trs is just like autozone, you walked in here. not the other way around

As for the 302 efi as soon as the 351 is in the truck and everything is hooked up and it runs and drives the 302 will be for sale i also have two transmissions for it and the electric t-case for it.
so now am i to understand that you are pulling out a fuel injected v8, and replacing it with a v8 that is carbed? :icon_confused:

i retract my analogy, doing that is like taking a house with a bathroom, ripping out the bathroom, just because you came across an outhouse that was 49 cubic inches bigger

its a perfect running 351 with a CARB! Im leavin it that way.
here i'll translate:
its a perfect running truck with an efi v8! Im notleavin it that way.

Last edited:

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
hey man its his truck if he wants a carb let him do it. considering he's mostly into bogging its not like he'll have a problem with hills. i agree it doesnt make scense to me and i have a friend who is the same way i cant convince him to go efi to save his life even though once its set up its much easier to use. so he went and swapped 2 carbed motors into 2 different trucks and neither one has moved ina year cause the carbs arnt tuned right and no one knows how to tune one anynmore.

and i agree running 20's doesnt make scense but alot of mud trucks a see now are running them i think it looks rediclous personally. but it not gonna be hard to find a mud tire to fit it not to mention if hes running 40's he'd still end up having a 10" sidewall same as someone running 35's on a 15" rim.

and as for the 351 if its hopped up. i guess itd be worth switching to... assuming it is actually done up not just an intake or a cam or somthing. and you wouldnt know that unless you tore it apart so id be looking into that. this is also assuming your going to be able to fit it into the engine bay, because correct me if im wrong but the 351m is a big block so there goes your a/c, and a whole lot of other creature comforts. then again if this thing doesnt see the strret anymore its not such a big deal

Last edited:

ranger302v8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well if you read the earlier posts you would know that its not a perfect running truck i said that the efi 302 is giving me some problems.

As for the no a/c thing and all the that it is my dd and the 302 alreday doesnt have a/c it doesnt bother me i like the windows down.

and the tuning on the carb my dad and grandfather know how to tune em.

Thanks for all the positive feedback from a few people.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
your footprint is the biggest thing for traction, the more surface area on something, the better your traction is, you can increase your footprint on your vehicle by adding wider tires, taller adds a little bit, but not as much as you would expect... lowering your tire pressure makes a big difference, as it bulges out on the side... when i drive to my OHV area, i run 35 in my truck, then drop down to 15 to wheel, never had ANY issues, next time i go, depending on the terrain, i may drop to 10...
one thing you may want to add to that is it is the length of the tire when airing down has more to do with traction then width

ranger302v8, if you dont want to hear any shit about this that could possibly be influencing you past your goals, or forcing you to not take a more sensible route as you want to prove something senseless, build it then post the results.

it must be a pretty well built 351m to like it over your current mill, or your current mill is not set up correctly or is in bad shape mechanically or both. you drove both so that situation is only known to you.

i have had those m engines and would never run one over an efi ho stock to stock...they are turds(stock). its not as easy to fit in the rbv either, as header selection isnt the best and the stock manifolds are not overly friendly either... but i think its still a cool swap and will be unique. i suggest hanging on to the efi mill a bit longer and learning how that is supposed to work while doing all of this other stuff as it may be more cost effective to keep that then go with the m.

dollar for dollar performance(stroker) and ease of install and use, it may prove wise to not get rid of the 302 right away.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i cant help but wondering how much it must suck daily driving a truck with no defrost.:icon_bounceblue:

do you use the no fog rain x stuff? i have a gen 1 and live in the snowbelt, and i have to use that as the gen 1 defrost setup sucks but is livable when i have it on the outside vent from the cowl, but when its 10 below i have to go to cab air and it fogs my shit up fierce without the rain x crap.

when i work in southern florida my windows fog horribly in the early am.....same with the mountain areas i go....friggen sucks.

so you will not be daily driving this thing anymore now? the granny tranny isnt too bad for driving short distances and long if your geared right for tire size... do you plan or already have in place a different defrost setup?...what kind of economy is it currently getting or rather was the ranger getting before you tore it down..? i am guessing 13-14, and you must not have driven the m truck enough to gauge what it was getting???

you may want to consider hydroboost brakes depending on where you prefer to locate the engine, i have a similarly sized engine and its a non issue with the body lift, but if you want to run a lower body lift it may help out.

ranger302v8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
no it has the defrost and everything just no a/c compressor. It's not to bad most of the time.

The 302 got about 10-11 depending how i was driving. and your correct im not sure about the 351 yet but ill let you know once i get it in and driving.

I am gonna continue using it as a daily driver.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
thats how i ended up with a diesel....i drive alot of miles and the 12 mpg shit dont get it.

ranger302v8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i wish i could find a 4bt cummins to put in it

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
its not much of an attitude its just me tired of everyone telling me how i should build MY truck. didnt mean to sound like an attitude.
QUOTE]

hey man don't let any of these douches get to ya. you build YOUR TRUCK how YOU want to. This is YOUR build thread and people dont need to be sitting here arguing with YOU about how to do it. Whatever makes you happy is what you need to do and if thats with a carb and 20s then so be it. Its cool for people to give you a little advice and maybe a tip here and there but to tell you how to do things it just wrong. tell em to get their own build thread or get lost and who cares what they think as long as youre satified. theres tons of dudes on here that can help ya with what ever you want to make your truck super badass.and with that said i look forward to seeing some progress on this its sounding pretty cool!:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals